Photo Editing Pc build help/opinions

trabaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi y'all,
I think I've narrowed down my new Pc to the following specs. I'm going to be using it for photo editing, entertainment pc along with all the day to day norms. I will not be gaming on it. I just want to build something that is somewhat future proof (near future) and that will exceed my needs. My budget was $2000 max and this build puts me close to it. Let me know if you would change anything or have any other suggestions please. Thanks for your help!

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EABYJ

If you don't know your way around cyberpowerpc, click the link and then click summarize on the left column to see the specs.

You are overspending going through a company like Cyberpower or Ibuypower. Hop on New Egg or TigerDirect and build one from the ground up. You can build one with the specs you are seeking for about $1k. If you're not going to be gaming at all... your main concern is going to be Memory, Hard Drive write speed, and HDD space.

Why are you getting an SLI/Crossfire X capable Motherboard if you aren't going to be gaming or running more than a single GPU (graphics card)? You have got this thing priced WAYYYY over what you need. What you're building is more along the lines of a foundation for a Computer Gaming Rig.

Here is what I recommend:

-Well Ventilated Mid Tower Case
-1155 P Series Motherboard with ONE PCI-e X16 slot
-Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge processor (This is all you will ever need. In fact, you wouldn't notice a single difference between this unit and the i7-3820. Even when overclocking, the 2500k OC's MUCH better than the i7-3820.)
-8GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory
-Two 2TB 7200+RPM (I would Recommend 10,000RPM for best performance) Sata HDD's
-600-650W PSU (Doesn't matter if it supports Crossfire or SLI, since you will be running one GPU)
-1GB GDDR5 Minimum GPU (Make sure it has a decent cooler, such as large heat sync or Twin Frozr would probably be best, and to get peak performance out of a decent GPU, you are going to need something that requires direct power from a 6pin connector on your power supply unit.)
-Optical Drive of your choice (LG makes very inexpensive and great quality optical drives)

Last edited:
Shoot, for $2000 you can build a badass PC.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad with a Nvidia GTS 250 1GB, and 4GB DDR2 memory and I can edit HD video like a dream. I think you'll be fine with pretty much any configuration above the i3 processors and integrated video cards. I know some might disagree, but I can not stress enough how VITAL a good video card is. Having an i7 is good and all, but if you have 256mb of integrated Intel video memory then you're pretty much screwed for any multimedia that you want to do.

I know some might disagree, but I can not stress enough how VITAL a good video card is. Having an i7 is good and all, but if you have 256mb of integrated Intel video memory then you're pretty much screwed for any multimedia that you want to do.

This is why I recommended the 2500k Sandy Bridge... it has a built in GPU... so for what the GPU can't handle... the CPU will pick up.

I do not have any specific recommendations about brands and what not. If you are planning on doing only photography, you do not need a big memory card. You do need a lot of ram, and I would suggest maxing out whatever board you get. I think at least 4gb, RAM is one of those things you can't have enough of.

You want at least two hard drives, one of which you won't ever really touch. This will serve as your scratch disk in Photoshop. It is important that all your hard drives have a fast transfer rate, and your scratch disk must have a fast transfer rate. If you wanted to use the second drive, or only use one drive, be sure to partition the disk. This will help performance and reduce fragmentation.

Having enough RAM also reduces the impact on the hard drive, so when considering the platform, consider how much maximum RAM you can use.

I agree.. build your own. Better hardware and less money! If you have half a brain, you can do it! :)

^^ if you have a quarter brain. Look at all the gamer morons who do it.

Anyone can build a PC. It's seriously not rocket science.

I do not have any specific recommendations about brands and what not. If you are planning on doing only photography, you do not need a big memory card. You do need a lot of ram, and I would suggest maxing out whatever board you get. I think at least 4gb, RAM is one of those things you can't have enough of.

You want at least two hard drives, one of which you won't ever really touch. This will serve as your scratch disk in Photoshop. It is important that all your hard drives have a fast transfer rate, and your scratch disk must have a fast transfer rate. If you wanted to use the second drive, or only use one drive, be sure to partition the disk. This will help performance and reduce fragmentation.

Having enough RAM also reduces the impact on the hard drive, so when considering the platform, consider how much maximum RAM you can use.

4gb ram? Maybe for Windows 32-bit XP. Windows 7 (and 64 bit is better)... 16gb at least....

^^ if you have a quarter brain. Look at all the gamer morons who do it.

Anyone can build a PC. It's seriously not rocket science.

DSLR's are more complicated to use than it is to build a computer now adays. That being said just do your research, and post here so we can check what you are buying so it all works together.

Cant go wrong with any Antec case.. they rock...

I also prefer the ASUS Motherboards.. usually better feature set.

MSI Video cards are good.. although any card with an Nvidia chipset will do. And I would go with at least a GTX580.. not a 560.

any good power supply minimum 600W

Personally I would go I7 four core, not I5.

Go with at least 16 gb, it will use it. Ram is cheap.. no need to skimp. Most apps will use it (again, 64 bit)! :) Corsair is a good brand... reliable.

I prefer the WD Black (enterprise) drives to the Seagates (had too many Seagates crash), and the 2TB drives are cheap!

LG DVD/RW's are good drives....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Must not be pull in ..computer tech...must resist, will power waning must leave now!!

I appreciate all the help guys. I'll take everything into consideration. I think I'm going to go with an i7 3820, a mb with 8 ram slots for future upgrades, 16gb corsair vengeance ram, gtx 550 ti 1gb video card, an intel ssd for the os, 2tbx2 in raid for storage/backup with another 2tb external drive for portability, 750watt corsair psu, corsair carbide 400r case air cooled. I think this should run everything I need without a problem. :)

4gb ram? Maybe for Windows 32-bit XP. Windows 7 (and 64 bit is better)... 16gb at least....

Yeah. I forgot how crappy and inefficient windows is. I'm running 2gb with only modest problems on OS X Lion, macbook pro. Though I will be upgrading to the maximum of 8gb.

I have 4 GB on my Windows 7 64 bit....

Most reactions

Back