Photo Editing Software

I'm always amazed in these threads that rarely noone mentions PaintShop Pro. It's does everything Photoshop can do for 60 bucks.

I know quite a few people the actually prefer PaintShop Pro over photoshop. I personally have been learning photoshop and want to stick with one program.

I have seen great work come from PaintShop Pro!!;)

I know quite a few people the actually prefer PaintShop Pro over photoshop
I was one of them because I didn't like the learning curve. PaintShop tends to have a big button for everything where as PhotoShop tends to give you a (tedious at first) control panel for eveything. Having been a but head for many years and insisting Paintshop made the most sense to use I was finally forced over to Photoshop by the photographic industry because all the magazines only refered to Photoshop and gave nice video tutorials on how to use it. Now I couldn't possibly go back.
Photoshop is the Macdaddy and is worth the challenge of learning it.

Hey guys, sorta off topic

what would you say is the BEST gold standard photo editing software, price be dammned? I heard it was Paintshop Lightbox, or lightroom or something like that?

how much are they anyway?

i would say the best would be probably photoshop creative suite 3 for amount of options and detail work, adobe lightroom is more about doing lots of images fast. Its still a great editing tool, it just doesnt have all the options that photoshop does.

I was one of them because I didn't like the learning curve. PaintShop tends to have a big button for everything where as PhotoShop tends to give you a (tedious at first) control panel for eveything. Having been a but head for many years and insisting Paintshop made the most sense to use I was finally forced over to Photoshop by the photographic industry because all the magazines only refered to Photoshop and gave nice video tutorials on how to use it. Now I couldn't possibly go back.
Photoshop is the Macdaddy and is worth the challenge of learning it.

I agree. I use PS CS3 extended and love it. Its taken a WHILE to be able to just use it but like you said there are nice tutorials on how to use it.

Its expensive though...

Any PhotoShop version after five is worth learning, buy a second hand copy, it'll be cheap, I've used all versions from no.4 on and stopped upgrading at CS as the costs of this software is ridiculous, all you pay for is an extra tool or so and some spyware from adobe, anything cs3 can do I can do in cs. H

Any PhotoShop version after five is worth learning, buy a second hand copy, it'll be cheap...

This is pretty true. I've been using CS2 since CS3 came out. Also, CS3 won't work on Windows 2000 (yeah, I know I have a dinosaur computer). I usually get my older versions of photoshop from ebay, craigslist or friends.

I just checked out a version on photoshop elements here at work. I hate it already. I can't figure out how to mask in a dupilicate layer. The tools are a little wacked and probably lacking from photoshop. IMO, go for the real deal, not elements.

FYI students can get photoshop at roughly 1/2 the price. Search online for student discount software.

Alicia,

I got a D80 a short while ago along with Photoshop Elements.

Trust me, Elements is all - more, in fact - than you will need.

Jon

Guessing there's not a lot of people here to who use Gimp.... I love it. The only part I wish it had was liquefy and better select by color options... but then again I'm a levels/curves kinda guy anyway ;)

Personally (as a noob),

I have found Lightroom and Paintshop Pro Photo X2 more valuable than Photoshop CS3. Lightroom does not edit in layers, but it is like an extension of your camera and can quickly bring your photos up to snuff (or at least in the ballpark) of where they should be as you learn about photography(i.e., your camera and how it responds to the environment around you). Paintshop Pro will allow you to quickly fiddle faddle w/out feeling like you're having to learn this behemoth software. At the end of the day I think you are better off w/learning about photography 1st, because PS can only save a photo so much b4 it becomes ridiculously apparent that you spent way too much time PP. That being said PP software is necessary in the Dslr world, but to what degree is a matter of personal artistic acumen.

have a good one
3Eo

Much like a lot of big, snazzy tools... I've found that people want Photoshop more as they become more experienced. I've actually used PS throughout, but I use much more of the tool now than I did when I started... used to be all I needed or wanted was a quick auto-levels and I was done.

This is not to say there's anything wrong with the other tools- much the contrary. Elements is supposedly a rock-solid tool, and a number of my friends use and absolutely love "the GIMP". (I've been told I have to call it the Gimp... :) My friends are weird. :) )

Go with what's cheap or free until it doesn't make you happy anymore and then look to take the next step. I recommend it with pretty much everything in photography, and the software tools are no exception.

I've never used anything other than Photoshop so I can't comment much on them. However, I've read that Elements can do most of the things digital photographers need at a fraction of the price.

Since Photoshop is an industry standard you can take classes on it at your local community college if you feel so inclined. Not so for others like PaintShop Pro or Gimp. Additionally, once you register to take the class you can get a student discount on the software!

Yes, it's expensive. But once you have it there's no need to upgrade unless you have a really old version as the differences between versions are minimal. However, one handy addition that CS2 and later versions have is a built-in lens distortion filter. It's not available in previous versions (except by third-party plugins). I have CS2 (version 9.0) now, but only because I upgraded from 6.0 a couple years ago.

Good luck with your choice.

Dennis

Are there ways of getting photoshop cheaper? Or are there other softwares out there that do a decent job? I DEFINITELY can't afford photoshop right now.

Yes. There are two ways I know of.

1. Educational version.

2. Buy a super old copy for really cheap on e-bay or something and upgrade it. Adobe's upgrade policy is great for that. You can upgrade from any version to CS3 for the same as from CS2 to CS3. And it's pretty reasonable! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back