Photo in a Photo

lorigon27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An individual had a friend pass away recently, and apparently she has a framed photo of her friend that she wants to take her photo while holding her friends photo in hand.
Have any of you had any type of request like this? And what the heck would be a good idea for this? would it even look good?
As this was just sprung on me with 2 hours before the shoot-any help would be appreciated and thanks all

Have her hold the photo up close to her face, keeping the plane of focus on both the photo and her eyes. Watch for glare on the glass.

Once you get past the depth of field issue, you might consider having the picture on a table or mantelpiece and then posing her near it.
Photographing her holding the picture might be a bit awkward.
Consider also temporarily removing the glass from the frame to eliminate possible reflections.

Good luck

Once you get past the depth of field issue, you might consider having the picture on a table or mantelpiece and then posing her near it.
Photographing her holding the picture might be a bit awkward.
Consider also temporarily removing the glass from the frame to eliminate possible reflections.

Good luck

great suggestions! on a mantle could be really lovely. i have attempted a shot like this but with a one year old holding her newborn photo and the glare was a mess.. definitely remove the glass.

maybe ask what kind of friend this was? i think holding the photo could be nice if you wanted to go a kind of somber/mourning route with the photo.. i picture like seated with knees bent up to her chest hugging the photo maybe.

You can use a polarizer to remove the glare from the glass without removing the "glass effect" that people expect in a frame.

Personally, I think they will probably be more than happy with anything you do that looks decent, as long as you do it with respect and compassion.

Most reactions

Back