Photo Magazines?

Ihaveaquestion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What are some good ones?

I picked up the only one I saw at the grocery store (Shutterbug) and when I got home...

Two articles and the rest of it was Ads?

What a waste of $5..

Lenswork, Aperture, American Photo, Rangefinder, Black & White Magazine, National Geographic. > some of my fav.

Hehe this probably won't be of much use to anyone outside of the UK but I rate Photography Monthly highly, closely followed by practical photography, I prefer these to the other mags available that seem to focus purely on a specific area of photography or post processing whether it be in the lab or in PS. I like the generalised nature of the two mags I mentioned because it inspires me to get involved in all kinds of stuff, as I have not yet found a niche.

Shutterbug is pretty much about ads, but at least they don't try to hide it. Many of the common photography mags have become barely disguised advertisements for their major advertisers. Once upon a time when you read a film or lens review it was actually tested by the person writing the article. Now it's mostly just repeating the manufacturer's sales pitch. I do like the one's danalec99 mentioned. Another new one that looks promising is Emulsion.

http://www.emulsionmagazine.org/

Shutterbug is good precisely because of the ads. It's a good place to look for used gear, and B&H puts their full ad in there. Lots of labs advertise as well.

I like American photo, I first saw photographic, but it was kind of stale. Since I live in Guatemala I don't have too much to choose from, I read american photo beacause its IMO a little bit more art oriented than photographic, although its too short, and since they go 1 mag for 2 months it gets kinda frustrating that it just takes a few hours to read, then I have to wait 2 months for the next. hehehe

Depends on what you are looking for. I am not familiar with the gear review mags. Dan mentioned some good ones for inspiration. I would like to add my favorite: Vanity Fair! All the top photographers and beautiful typography. Do not forget to consider your local newspaper.

Scurra said:
Hehe this probably won't be of much use to anyone outside of the UK but I rate Photography Monthly highly, closely followed by practical photography, I prefer these to the other mags available that seem to focus purely on a specific area of photography or post processing whether it be in the lab or in PS. I like the generalised nature of the two mags I mentioned because it inspires me to get involved in all kinds of stuff, as I have not yet found a niche.

I have to completely agree here, and really feel that there are only 3 magazines that id actually buy.

Practical Photography, My favoiret, and one I wouldnt get up unless I had no money left.

Photography monthly, havent really read them, but my Dad does, and they are really thick, like a mini book each month, and not many ads more articles...on both PP and PM I recon you only get about 5 ads during the magazine...if that...and about 5 at the back...which is good :D

Digital Photo magazine...but its not fantastic, but good.

Thats my 2 pence :)

craig said:
I would like to add my favorite: Vanity Fair!
Oh yeah..another favorite of mine.

If it is inspiration that you are primarily looking for, there are also a ton of websites out there, depending on your area of interest.

The UK mags are great. Here in the US, I found them at Books A Million. They are more expensive then the American magazines but they usually have more useful content.

I want to resurrect this thread just to mention that I recently picked up a copy of lenswork at a bookstore and really love it. They have some very inspirational articles in there with portfolios by some really good artists. It really focuses on the creative side of the art, rather than all the technical details. I'm thinking of maybe subscribing to it. Worth a look for those out there looking for something to inspire their creative side.

Oh, and magazines like Time and National Geographic have some really good photogs working for them. I like picking up an issue from time to time to check out their photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back