Photo postprocessing effect for colors

a.argonyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear experts,

I see sometimes photos with vivid beautiful colors taken in clubs or stage, with flash. It is obvious that the result is achieved using some effect and I would so much like to find out how to achieve it.

I attach an example of what I mean.
View attachment 61627

As you see, the colors of the clothing are vivid but the skin remain natural or I would even say that also the skin has a nice texture.

I have tried different combinations in Photoshop, including vibrancy. But I don't seem to be able to reproduce such thing. Most of the time the effects also destroy the skin.
You see, there are two things: first is the skin texture, it doesn't shine. Then there is this uniform color on the guy's clothing. It looks like the color bandwidth has been shorten or shifted, I don't know.
I am pretty sure that this is no effect one can achieve using basic manipulation, there must be some special process.
So I'm pretty sure it is a plugin. Also because I know that these photographers publish hundreds of photos already the day after a party, it would take much longer to work manually on all these details.

I appreciate any advice on how to achieve a similar result from my RAW photos.

Cheers,
Andra

Last edited by a moderator:
Flash diffuser and flash raised above camera.

Joe

Joe

There is much more then that, Joe ;)

I have already imagined the lighting aspects during the shot and tried indeed to use an off-shoe flash with diffuser, of course. But in order to achieve a kind of result like that, it takes much more at postprocessing side.

Last edited:
The exposure is spot on, for one thing, getting that black top just barely inside the exposure range.

It looks to me like a light grunge effect. You can do this with a lightly applied unsharp-mask with a large radius, a curves adjustment to push contrast into the right tonal ranges, and usually a bit of dodging and burning.

...........I attach an example of what I mean..............

As you're stating you don't know how to create the look, does that mean you don't have the rights to use the image you attached?

Joe

There is much more then that, Joe ;)

But nothing special. As Amolitor noted it's a nailed exposure -- well diffused flash high off camera. Beyond that it's processed high contrast and likely with a lean on micro contrast (clarity) and some burning work to even out the flash exposure. Proper use of portable flash is the dominant characteristic with an (assumed) competent exposure.

Joe

Most reactions

Back