Photo Printer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JoeW, Jan 30, 2020.

1. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking at relatively low-end photo printer options. What recommendations do you have for me?

2. TWX

TWX No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I were shopping for a color printer, I'd look at my local college-surplus, which always has new-in-box printers. I suspect that they buy a lot of PC deals that include the printers because it's cheaper than buying individually, then they surplus-out the printers.

It's probably also not a bad idea to consider ink costs. A more expensive printer might well have less expensive ink. Incredibly cheap printers might have ink that's expensive simply because the customer didn't check the price of consumables and is now stuck buying those expensive consumables.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    TWX, thanks for the recommendations on where to look for a good buy. Seriously though, no-one has any recommendations on what printer you use for printing photos?

4. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The comment about ink is very valid. I saw a lot of photographers buy the 8 or 12 ink printers...
    Only to sale them a year later because of the cost of ink.
    I am using an old canon pixma ix 6550.
    However, most of my home prints are for short life prints, display or in the past club comp’s
    I am considering the canon pro 1 or the pro 10, when my current printer gives up

5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you are not in a hurry and willing to wait, once in awhile the Canon Pixma PRO-100 Photo Printer often on sale plus rebate. It was $60 with Photo paper a year ago @ B&H after promote code and rebate from Canon directly (Canon process their rebate pretty fast). I am not 100% positive, but it seems like they have rebate on the Pro-100, or Pro-10 printer one or more times per year.