Photo Retouche and Adobe colour space.

Frankieplus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone use this plugin? I have a general question.

On the site it says this:

'The Toned Photos filter plugin works with these image modes (Windows and Mac)...8 & 16 bit / channel: RGB, CMYK.'

I just bought a Canon 5D and was going to use 'Adobe colour space' instead of sRGB. But what happens with plugins like the above that only works in RGB or CMYK?

Is it wise to use adobe colour space in general? I'm not shooting for the web. It's all for print.

-Frankie

Don't confuse a color space or color MODE, with a color PROFILE. RGB, CMYK are color modes, along with duotone, and grayscale, bitmap, and indexed color.

Color profiles define the relationship between the way your camera captures color, and the way your monitor displays it, and your printer prints it. There are thousands of color profiles, (also called ICC profiles), and there can be ones specific to every device in the workflow chain. They help give you a proof of what your colors will look like when printed, or viewed on a machine with a limited color gamut.

In short, your camera captures images in RGB mode, but you can use any color profile you want. Adobe RGB will work fine, and is generally considered the "widest" color space, in that it will give you the broadest range of colors. You'll get warmer, more saturated images. If you set Photoshop's default color space to Adobe RGB, you'll see your images warm up as you bring them in. For viewing on the web however, you should convert the colors to sRGB as your last step.

Digital Matt said:
In short, your camera captures images in RGB mode, but you can use any color profile you want. Adobe RGB will work fine, and is generally considered the "widest" color space, in that it will give you the broadest range of colors. You'll get warmer, more saturated images. If you set Photoshop's default color space to Adobe RGB, you'll see your images warm up as you bring them in. For viewing on the web however, you should convert the colors to sRGB as your last step.

So let me get this right. I set my camera up to Adobe RGB or are these settings not camera settings?

-Frankie

You set your camera up as sRGB, adobe RGB, or whatever you like...or, if you shoot raw, you can determine which color profile you want after the fact in your RAW developing application (most have the ability to determine color profile afterwards). That's how it is on the 20d, i'm sure the 5d is similar.

You should setup your camera to use whatever color space you want to use in Photoshop, and then make sure you set your color settings in Photoshop to use the same.

Digital Matt said:
You should setup your camera to use whatever color space you want to use in Photoshop, and then make sure you set your color settings in Photoshop to use the same.

yep, forgot about that. good point.

Digital Matt said:

Oh ok.. Thanks for that. So would you recommend Adobe colour space or RGB for portraits and weddings?

I haven't checked yet but are those the main settings on cameras or are there other colour space choices? (Will be using a 5D)

-Frankie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back