Photo Series with a storyline for your enjoyment!

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright. So, here it is! After going through the photos again, it's by farrrr not what I expecte it to be, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the results. But, I'll share anyhow to see what you all think.

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

5.jpg

5-1
5-0.jpg

5-2
5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9-1
DSC_9161.jpg

9-2
DSC_9162.jpg

9-3
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12-1.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18 - This was the photo I was torn with whether or not to include it in the series. I really don't know if I like it or not, at all. But, since the multiple, multiple edits took me some long hours, I suppose I'll include this one.
19-3.jpg

20.jpg

Annnd...the GIF from earlier. It's not part of the series, though.
Candle.gif

Tear it up! I'm ready for it.
Mark

Last edited:
Well, it'll be up probably tomorrow. I just wanted to reserve my space, and post this GIF to share with everyone as a placeholder. So, stay tuned!

Mark

I am reserving this space for future commenting. Maybe tomorrow, maybe some other day.

I'll start with nit-picks:

I'm not sure if I like the shopping in 18. I'm no pro at photoshop, so I probably couldn't do better, but maybe you could use one of the softening tools to reduce the aliasing of the edges of certain objects like that lamp, fan, etc.

Also, I'm not sure what's happening in panels 16 onward. I see a zombie in the reflection, then the main character appears to commit suicide...twice (once by hanging, and once by falling down the stairs).

The transition of the character's emotions between 8 and 9 seems too sudden or forced. Maybe include a slide which shows her discovering the book, or realizing that she has it.

Maybe too many slides between 1-5. A few are of your subjects in a similar position.

Otherwise, it's an interesting set. I haven't thought about using photos to tell a story, and it seems like it would be hard to do regardless. Not bad overall, and you should make more.

Last edited:
I guess this is prime real estate, eh? It's coming. I didn't expect this ONE photo to give me such a problem. It's coming, though. I only have one left.

Mark

I was only seeing the GIF from her nose up. I thought she was doing something else. LOL :D

I like the overall theme! and most of the photography rocks! the story doesn't flow that well though.. and gets a little confusing! The additional picture you added between 8 & 9 helped a bit.

1 to 5 Nice shots! Very nice!

5-1 & 5-2.. totally change in style, color, etc.. I can see that as part of the storyline.. going from warmth (love) to cold and clinical .. but there is a transition lacking. If you had introduced the car earlier (prior to the wreck shot) and done a shot through a windshield of the two of them with really scared looks on their faces.. or even one of him driving off as she sadly waves goodbye? These shots need some work to bring them into the mood and color to match the rest a little better.... not sure just what! Maybe get a shot with the some color and tone with her talking to a cop... crying her eyes out?

#6... looks like a different guy in the casket, where is the beard and mustache? Lost me there! Maybe a shot of her in funeral black with a veil.. with her hand on a casket after this one would provide better transition?

9-2 to 15... you really used some artistic license here... and pulled stuff from bad horror movies! The "Craft" has nothing in it that uses dead sheep heads (traditional hollywood satanic symbolism) or or blood like that. Wicca is a peaceful and loving nature worshipping religion / philosophy. In the straits of drunken despair, trying to use those books in this manner might happen.. but you should have used something meant to be dark and evil, like the Necronomicon or some Alistair Crowley books (major prop error!). Shots are nice though.. and l love the candle lighting. #11 is a lovely shot! :)

#16 nicely done..

#17... you lost me! I was thinking levitation.. GF thought hanging... wasn't sure it if was here... or an animated floating drowned corpse coming back! :)

#18 - needed transition shot from the bathroom to bedroom... sleeping peacefully or something, and then all HELL breaks loose! (Where have I seen that Demon head before?) Nice photoshop work though!

#19 this can be followed.. but really did need a transition shot also... like her being levitated at the top of the stairs with a ghostly hand around her throat as she glances heavenward...?

All in all? Nicely done! You as the artist / producer knew your story line... so this made sense to you. We as viewer... had no idea of the story line and the continuance .. so we need to be guided on that path. Any abrupt breaks in the story we are building in our heads, kills it!

Just my opinions.... Most of the shots are awesome.... but the storyline doesn't quite go as smoothly as it should.

:)

Last edited:
#18...Darn right include it!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dude.. wth? You are coming out from no where with this awesome set. I dont remember you posting anything memorable before. Nice job!

I think 1,2,4,5 you can work on the color a little bit more and give it more fall color punch. #3 is just pure awesome. Awesome set.

I'll start with nit-picks:

I'm not sure if I like the shopping in 18. Agreed. That's why I wasn't sure if I even wanted it on there.I'm no pro at photoshop, so I probably couldn't do better, but maybe you could use one of the softening tools to reduce the aliasing of the edges of certain objects like that lamp, fan, etc.

Also, I'm not sure what's happening in panels 16 onward. I see a zombie in the reflection (Check number 12. The book says "resurrection". She was supposed to have brought him back. Only, he comes back as something evil. Hence the demon half.), then the main character appears to commit suicide...twice (once by hanging, and once by falling down the stairs) When I was taking the photos, I wasn't thinking suicide by hanging. I was thinking supernatural. Levitation or the like. I definitely see that there can be confusion in that dept now.

The transition of the character's emotions between 8 and 9 seems too sudden or forced. Maybe include a slide which shows her discovering the book, or realizing that she has it. Just for you, 'tis done. :)

Maybe too many slides between 1-5. A few are of your subjects in a similar position. I thought the same might be true, but it works well in the book (the final destination of these photos). The spreads work out well, and there's not a mid-spread transition straight from happy to dead.

Otherwise, it's an interesting set. Thank you. I haven't thought about using photos to tell a story, and it seems like it would be hard to do regardless. It was much harder than I thought it would be. Especially this day. It was raining the second half of the day, and the guy got called into work. Not bad overall, and you should make more. Already in the works. :)

Message in Red
Mark

Dude.. wth? You are coming out from no where with this awesome set. I dont remember you posting anything memorable before. Nice job!

I think 1,2,4,5 you can work on the color a little bit more and give it more fall color punch. I may do that before print. Thanks. #3 is just pure awesome Thanks, again.. Awesome set Annnd again. :).

We all have our dry spells, wouldn't you say? But, thank you. I'm shocked you like it so much. I don't think it's my best work by any stretch of the imagination. But, thanks alot, either way! :mrgreen:

Mark

Ok, it makes more sense now, thanks for the explanation.

Just to clarify, the composition and colors of 18 are fine, but there a few technical issues only. I'm sure someone can help smooth the objects out if you're not sure about it.

Can I ask why he came back as a demon? Just the evil/weird spells she used, or someone said, "You can't have him, he's mine now, muahaha!"? Or is that the mystery?

Great work, the story line is not exactly my cup of tea, but it reads well, although I did think the feet ment hanging as well, after your explanation its clear as day. Once again great work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back