Photo Shop Elements...Eeehhh...

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I answered an earlier question about PSe, and recommended that person stick with PSe vs. Gimp.
Downloaded 30 day trial of PS elements, and compared to Gimp, I found it much less powerful, feature wise, and less intuitive than Gimp. I've never used the full featured package of PS, so can't comment on that. Plus there's about a zillion plug-in's for Gimp. Best feature is the cost...Free,..nada...zilch.

Disclaimer: I am mostly a B&W film shooter and use all editing software sparingly, except for the occasional totally fubar shot that I may want to try to salvage, because I didn't have enough sense at the time to try different lens settings, etc to get it right the first time.

All of that said, before I spent money on PS.e, I'd give Gimp a try..if you don't like it, like I said it's free, just delete it from your HD.

J.:mrgreen:

Which features in PSE are less powerful? You say you use it sparingly, but found it's features lacking in comparison.

Which features in PSE are less powerful? You say you use it sparingly, but found it's features lacking in comparison.
Fair question and a good one at that. First let me say that I can't comment on the full Ed. of PS.
I do use it sparingly, while editing photo's, but I've played with it extensively, mostly to see what certain features do. (Not familiar with all the terminology, so I just apply the feature, play with sliders..etc..to see what they actually do). I downloaded the 30 day trial feature of photo shop elements, and did the same thing..I found that a lot of things I did with gimp, I couldn't do with PSE. I was even able to airbrush a photo of my scraggly old face with Gimp, and looked somewhat like I used to years ago. Playing with the two side by side is how I came to my conclusion.
I didn't actually take notes on various capabilities of each. I found GIMP to be more intuitive, also. I am not knocking PSe, I just found it lacking, or possibly couldn't find the features that I easily found in GIMP.
Lastly, GIMP is free. As in free beer. That's cool. And I'm not one of the types of people to which Operating Systems and Software are a religion to me..I don't roll my eyes if someone is a Linux/MS/Mac person, as if they were the devil incarnate, if they prefer something I don't. So..to finally answer your question, If you've got the spare time, download GIMP and play with them, GIMP/VS/PSe, side by side. Your milage may vary greatly.

If your opionion differs, fine with me, use what works for you. Oh, and if you do play with GIMP google the Gimp Plugin's that are available. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that with the plethora of plugin's available, it would have all, if not most of the full version of PS and it's add-ins.

Did I mention it was free?....:mrgreen:

cheers,
J.

Plus PS Elements has 10x a zillion plug-ins compared to GIMP.

And yes, you (the OP) are in fact, knowingly knocking PS Elements and then denying same.

That shoots your credibility all to he!!. :lol:

Plus PS Elements has 10x a zillion plug-ins compared to GIMP.

And yes, you (the OP) are in fact, knowingly knocking PS Elements and then denying same.

That shoots your credibility all to he!!. :lol:
Nah...I was further commenting on an earlier post. For you to question one's credibility, over somthing as benign as a post over one person's preference over some software, well, maybe you're a little too sensitive. Take a deep breath. Plus, I don't know how many 10X a zillion is, but that's an awful lot of plug-ins. Don't think I've got the time to download them all and try them out. Think I'll stay with GIMP anyway...
You're a funny guy/gal..:lmao:

I've used both, I'll take PSE7 all day long over gimp.

Free versus $100? Is there a difference there? LOL. Really with the $ we spend on equipment, $100 is nothing for PSE7 and while not as powerful as CS4, it's still a great editing tool and I haven't even scratched the surface on what I can do with it.

Does GIMP open RAW files?
I've noticed in a number of threads that you're just copy and pasting the comments of other members into your post...are you doing that just to raise your post count?

I've used both, I'll take PSE7 all day long over gimp.

Free versus $100? Is there a difference there? LOL. Really with the $ we spend on equipment, $100 is nothing for PSE7 and while not as powerful as CS4, it's still a great editing tool and I haven't even scratched the surface on what I can do with it.

I say right on, use whatever you like. I'm not advocating gimp, But I really like GimpShop. It's just GIMP, basically, but they reworked the interface to be much like PS. So it would be more useful to those who like the PS interface, but want the free stuff. I am no pro, don't pretend to be, although I wish I could shoot like one. So whether or not it's $100 bucks, or beau coup bucks for PS Full Blown version, I was just saying that GIMP serves my purposes just fine. You say PSE7 is your choice, and that's fine, but for those who want to try the free stuff, you can get the "GIMPShop" version at GIMPSHOP.Com That's all.

Most reactions

Back