Yet, another help me decide: Canon SL1 or T3i, Sammy NX300.

bryguy_ASU

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's up everyone... need some help in deciding what Santa can bring me over the holidays. Budget is around 'entry-level' status. I'm taking a photography course at ASU next semester so I'm ready to get a good entry-level platform for taking pics and awesome videos. I really want good video quality almost as equally as the picture quality aspect. This is important to me.

My long-term aspirations in photography, at the moment, seem to not get any further than "amateur" level. My focus in school is web development and graphic design. Photography takes the backburner.

With that said, don't need anything too fancy... so, I've narrowed it down to the Canon SL1, T3i, and Samsung NX300.

Here's some pros and cons that resonate from my brief poking around on review sites and YouTube last night. PLEASE feel free to point out any of the good and bad points I have missed. Or, recommend something else entirely (that's within budget of the aforementioned models) and reasoning.

>>>>>Canon SL1:

**Pros**
-smallest DSLR
-New Digic 5 processor
-touchscreen
-viewfinder
-movie mode has continuous AF
-New kit lens, EF-S STM, that's supposedly quiet during the HD movie mode while in continuous AF.
-can borrow some lenses from my GF's Canon XSi.
-touchscreen video focusing, tap focus (not sure what this is called, but seen a demo in YouTube where objects get focused on by touching the screen in HD video mode).
-HDR mode?

**Cons**
-No articulating screen (I want to shoot videos, so not sure if I'd hate this).

>>>>> Samsung NX300

**Pros**
-Smaller than the SL1
-articulating AMOLED touchscreen
-Wi-Fi enabled
-seems super user friendly
-comes with full version Lightroom 4
-modern, yet classy design with faux leather and aluminium body.
-higher mega pixels (does this matter?)
-also has HDR
-wireless connectivity with my galaxy s4
-noise reduction processing

**Cons**
-New system, eco-system limitations?
-lenses are pricier with less options (however, might not need too many lenses because I don't plan to shoot that much and go beyond amateur photography).
-No viewfinder

>>>>> Canon T3i

**Pros**
-Cheapest option
-articulating screen
-Been out for years, tried and true entry-level system.

**Cons**
-Digic 4 older tech. Read that is has less ISO capability, low light performance, etc. Compared to Digic 5.
-No continuous AF when filming HD video.
------------------

Okay, so that's all I can think of right now without having to pull up spec sheets on these models. One advantage if I go Canon is that my GF has a Canon XSi. She has a few lenses I can borrow. But I have that Samsung NX300 in my mind because it seems like the iPhone of cameras (beyond the point & shoot and smartphone class). Just seems innovative in features. But bottomline, it's all about the pictures and video quality. Macro shots, low light high ISO, stuff like this is preferred.

Sorry if I sound like the biggest newb....because I am :)

Please help!

Thank you :)

Last edited:
This is my look of thing and others might see it differently

In your price range I would go for Nikon D3200, more modern camera and I think better then the cameras on your list and to be honest if you want good low light performance then the Nikon D5200 is your best bet, it has best low light performance in its price range, better then Canon rebel range and you will need to go for Canon 70D to compete about its performance and the 70D is more expensive.

From the cameras on your list I would go for the Canon T3i, it has same sensor as the SL1 and I wouldn't expect a real different in image quality.

As for the Samsung, well I like their cell phones but personally if I buy a good camera it would be either Canon or Nikon, their lenses range and chances to find good used lenses for reasonable price is VERY important in my eyes and no other company can compete with them.

This is my look of thing and others might see it differently In your price range I would go for Nikon D3200, more modern camera and I think better then the cameras on your list and to be honest if you want good low light performance then the Nikon D5200 is your best bet, it has best low light performance in its price range, better then Canon rebel range and you will need to go for Canon 70D to compete about its performance and the 70D is more expensive. From the cameras on your list I would go for the Canon T3i, it has same sensor as the SL1 and I wouldn't expect a real different in image quality. As for the Samsung, well I like their cell phones but personally if I buy a good camera it would be either Canon or Nikon, their lenses range and chances to find good used lenses for reasonable price is VERY important in my eyes and no other company can compete with them.

They're all modern cameras. Read the definition of modern. His girlfriend has a canon camera. Why would he want a Nikon? Did you actually even read his post?

OP, I would go for the t3i in your position. If it's the least expensive, you can invest the difference in a nice piece of glass.

They're all modern cameras. Read the definition of modern. His girlfriend has a canon camera. Why would he want a Nikon? Did you actually even read his post?
Why wouldnt he want Nikon ?

I had a Sony DSLR with lenses and other accesories and I moved to Nikon so I see no problem to move to Nikon, his GF camera is old if to make a change this is the time.

Canon T3i is a nice camera but I would still go for a Nikon D3200 if I could choose and if not then yes the T3i is the most logical choice.

Hi bryguy - if video is important to you, you may want to consider another camera that is about the same size as the SL-1 and has:

- a fully articulated touchscreen LCD
- a viewfinder that continues working when you shoot video (Canon DSLR viewfinders go black in video mode, and the Samsung doesn't have a viewfinder - which could mean shooting your videos squinting at a washed out LCD in the bright Arizona sun)
- wi-fi (plus NFC, if you have a NFC capable phone) for wireless transfer of your files and control of the camera from your phone or tablet
- HDR
- fast video autofocus
- 1080/60p for smooth action video or slow motion

The camera with all of these features is the Panasonic G6. This camera is much better suited to shooting video than any of the cameras on your list. Don't know if you'll be shooting short films in class, but here is what it can do shooting narrative:

"I've Got My Fingers Crossed" by Avner Levona

[video=vimeo;78037118]http://vimeo.com/78037118[/video]​

One of the groups I moderate on Vimeo features videos from this camera, and, for the price, it is a very capable video camera. More examples here: https://vimeo.com/groups/dmcg6

It's a darned good still camera too: Flickr: The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G6 Pool

The G6 is on sale right now at Amazon for $498 with the kit lens, which is less than the cost of a new T3i with the 18-55.

(Just looked at the listing, and they are backordered at this price, but if you put your order in now, they won't charge your card until your camera ships).

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What's up everyone... thank you all for your input. Although I know there has been recommendations for Nikon, I decided to go with the Canon SL1. My GF, which whom I live with, already has some Canon lenses. And although I like the extra tech/gadgetry that's in Samsung nx300, the lack of a OVT/EVT was a turn-off -- not to mention the long-term of investing in that eco-system. Further, I went to the local Best Buy to hold each camera, and I really liked the SL1. I do wish it has an articulating screen, but the lower price of it and smaller size/weight was an exceptional trade-off. This will come in handy when we travel on vacations in the future.

@Bill - The Panasonic Lumix that was just recommended by you does have impressive photo/video quality. However, two things came to mind about Panasonic. One, I read that they are scaling back big-time because of declining sells (not sure how looks long-term, especially investing in glass). Secondly, it's a different ecosystem in which we have some already invested in Canon (via GF's gear).

Here's a neat video created by the SL1 that helped sell me on it. It helps demonstrate an articulating screen isn't a must have for producing quality videos.

On a side note, I ended up pulling the trigger on the SL1 due to a Black Friday special in which I got the SL1 + Kit lens for $460 shipped. I asked my GF for the 40mm pancake lens for Xmas, too! ;)

I'm stoked and I hope I made a wise decision.

Thanks again everyone for your time and input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you've got the new Canon d-slr, I hope that you will stick around for a while, and maybe become part of the community here. Enjoy the new camera!

Now that you've got the new Canon d-slr, I hope that you will stick around for a while, and maybe become part of the community here. Enjoy the new camera!

Hi Derrel,

I'm definitely going to stick around. I find that learning in forums is so useful and helpful, especially when there's experienced members willing to help newbs like myself. I'm actually semi-new to the concept of using forums in general. However, I've went from newbie to expert in The Planted Tank forums and actually befriended some cool people. So I've learned the importance and benefits in helping one excel by interacting with a community of like-minded folks.... Lord knows I'll need the help in the coming months to hone in this skills on this newly acquired hobby. :)

Sorry to revive my old thread, but the SL1 I got was a lemon. Every picture I took with it came out super over exposed. I returned the camera to Canon and got a refund.

I had a change of heart and bought a Samsung NX300. I just like how it looks, plus it has a lot of pluses going for it. Best implementation of Wi-Fi and NFC. Gets good reviews for photo and video quality. Video is important to me so the articulating screen is appealing.

I can use my Samsung GS4 as a remote viewfinder. Not to mention, I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.... so i think they'll all work great together in harmonious workflow connectivity. And, the nx300 comes bundled with a full version of Lightroom 4.

Anyways... my camera gets delivered in 2 business days. I'm excited :)

Last edited:
Saw review of the Samsung, wasn't very impressed, it looks ok but nothing more then that.
If you stick the 18-200mm lens on it looks ridiculous as the camera is so small and lens so huge.
If buying mirrorless I would buy a Sony NEX

To each his own I guess.

Enjoy your new camera.

His girlfriend has a canon camera.

So Nikon it is. :lol:

Interesting. I haven't seen anyone say anything bad about the Samsung cameras yet, but you're probably the third person I've seen experience one. Glad you like it.

Looked on just about every professional review site, user reviews within major online retailers (almost all 5 star reviews), gets editor choice awards left and right, and great user and pro reviews in YouTube and Vimeo. Samsung is obviously new to the photography scene but they are #1 in TV and smartphones worldwide.. They have major R & D muscle to throw around so I'm fairly confident it's going to be a quality camera. Has hybrid AF with phase detection. The only negative I hear is the lack of a OVF/EVF, but I don't think I'll miss that too much since I'm new to photography and haven't been seasoned enough to have that as a prerequisite (muscle memory?).

Just got the NX300 in the mail today. Oh man, I'm in love! This camera rocks! I guess I'm not that picky if some of you think the image quality is less than to be desired. But judging from what I see out there from other NX300 users, I think the quality of the pics will suit my needs. Now I just need to learn how to use the modes outside of Auto! LOL

Speaking of "auto," here's my first picture taken with the camera on Auto mode with the 18-55mm OISIII Kit lens. It's of my other hobby, aquascaping planted tanks :)

iopmA5pwZnlUy.JPG

I recently picked up a NX300 as well. I do love the camera but it's image quality is just okay. Definitely better than a point and shoot and miles ahead of any smart phone. Picture quality can improve with firmware and they seem to continue support for their cameras so that's good. As a photographer's camera it's meh... as a gadget it's pretty awesome.

Well luckily for me, photography is not going to be my career... as a person who likes "gadgets," this is one AWESOME gadget then!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back