Photo shop right for me?

RPetterson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! so my question is I need to get some software, I seem to see that photo shop is one that is used quit a bit... is this a program that would work for someone just starting out?

Well, if you can afford the $1000 price tag...then maybe ;)

It is the gold standard for image editing, but it's such a big & complex program that most people will never use a large percentage of it's features. Another, more economical, option is Photoshop Elements. It's sort of like 'Photoshop Lite'...it's a stripped down version that is more suited to Photographers, especially those just starting out with digital editing. It's also much less expensive.

ABSOLUTELY!! I wouldn't go buy the newest version, it cost quite a few pretty pennies. But head over to Ebay and start looking around for Photoshop CS3. I found mine for $179.00! That's a steal, it normally starts in about the $500s or so. Be sure to note that there are different versions for Mac and PC, don't accidently buy the wrong one.

There is a great website called Picnik that will allow you to do editing as well, just not in the great volume that Photoshop gives. Also, go to Google and get the free Picasa 3 download. It'll automatically archive your pictures from all OVER your computer, organize them, then you can do a little editing to them and it's super easy and FREE!! I love it and use it all the time.

Also, when you find some and you want to learn, Photoshop CS3 for Dummies is a great book if you're into reading directions, if you're a visual learner (like myself) head on over to YouTube and search for 'Photoshop Tutorials'! They helped me SO much. They show you step by step how to work everything, you can pause it to take notes, etc.

Happy shooting!

If you're a Nikon shooter and shoot RAW I would recommend CaptureNX2. If you shoot jpg I'd go with Photoshop Elements.

I don't know about Canon's software so I can't really speak to that..

You need CS4 to install the latest Adobe Camera RAW, not an issue if you don't work with RAW files.

If you're comfortable with the price and serious about photography then yes, definitely get Photoshop.

If you're not the budget alternatives include Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro (my choice) and GIMP - this last option is free.

You did not really say what you needed the software to do. I really like Lightroom, I can see myself using that a lot more then photoshop (Still need photoshop for a few things though)

Now if Nikon USA would just have these kinds of sales, I'd be set!
It's not a sale, those are everyday prices for Adobe Student Editions which are exactly like the full retail version.

Not exactly. You cannot sell anything you've edited in a Student Edition.

Now if Nikon USA would just have these kinds of sales, I'd be set!
It's not a sale, those are everyday prices for Adobe Student Editions which are exactly like the full retail version.

No, this is not correct. It is my understanding that the old licenses stipulated that, but the current do not. You can sell stuff you do.

Well that might help if I tell you want I want to use it for! Portraits of kids,babies and senior pictures.

It also will depend on what you expect to be able to accomplish. If you just want to adjust some lighting, then don't spend the money on big software like that. If you're expecting to do really fancy stuff, then that's when you need to get into the heavier software. Everybody will tell you its a big price sticker, so try out the free/cheaper stuff first.

No, this is not correct. It is my understanding that the old licenses stipulated that, but the current do not. You can sell stuff you do.

This is about 98% incorrect. Give or take :er:

You cannot sell anything under a corporate model. So if you own your own photography studio then no, you absolutely cannot sell anything you've edited in an Academic license. You can get away with selling things like prints on deviantart or selling prints at a fair or something along those lines. However, you can only do that WHILE you are in college. Once you graduate or leave school you must purchase an upgrade to the professional version to even use the software as defined in the terms of the Academic license.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back