Photo Techniques

photographydame

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am fairly new to photography and have been using my Rebel in automatic. I do get some unique shots. However, I want to start working on special techniques like panning or lights warped at an amusement park.
Any advise on any of these or different "cool" techniqes?

Any good books or websites that show you how? Or is this mainly getting the technique down pat and then trial and error??

Thanks.

pd

well if you want to get more control over your camera I would first suggest that you read the manual and set it to aperture priority mode and have a go using that for some time. That will let you control the aperture of your shots and that will directly let you control the depth of field in your photos.
If you want ideas for settings you can go back through your previous shots and if you right click on the photo and go to properties and then the details tab you can scroll down to find the aperture, shutter speed and ISO of your shot.

Also I (and many on this site) would recomend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This book contians a lot of information on the aperture, shutter speed and ISO - how they relate to each other and how you use them to get a correct exposure - as well as how to do creative things like warping lights :)

Also please please please change avatar - flashy is a bit distracting ;)

Once you know and understand the basics, panning and motion blur done on purpose are easy. It all starts from the basics.

Understanding Exposure by Bryon Peterson is the place to start.

Thank you for the advise. I have the book now and will read it this week.
P.S. Hope you like my new avatar.:D

well if you want to get more control over your camera I would first suggest that you read the manual and set it to aperture priority mode and have a go using that for some time. That will let you control the aperture of your shots and that will directly let you control the depth of field in your photos.
If you want ideas for settings you can go back through your previous shots and if you right click on the photo and go to properties and then the details tab you can scroll down to find the aperture, shutter speed and ISO of your shot.

Also I (and many on this site) would recomend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This book contians a lot of information on the aperture, shutter speed and ISO - how they relate to each other and how you use them to get a correct exposure - as well as how to do creative things like warping lights :)

Also please please please change avatar - flashy is a bit distracting ;)

Jerry,
I can't wait to read the book and try out some techniques.
Thanks.

Once you know and understand the basics, panning and motion blur done on purpose are easy. It all starts from the basics.

Understanding Exposure by Bryon Peterson is the place to start.

I don't remember if that book goes into any "special" techniques, but it will definatly give you a sound understanding of all the basics of a camera and get you to shoot out of Automatic mode and into the Manual, Aperture and Shutter priorities.

Finding out how an effect or technique works is as easy as google. Getting it to work right involved alot of practice.

Learn the basics of your camera, get to shoot in Manual and get the right exposure and good pictures, then read up on the techniques and practice practice practice

Most reactions

Back