Photobucket/Flickr messing up the colors of my photos ! ! ! sRGB problem?

NayLoMo6C

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I use Lightroom 3.3 to PP my photos, and by default I always shoot pictures on my Rebel T2i using the sRGB profile, and have the settings in my Lightroom set to sRGB as well. So whenever I save a finished edited photo in Lightroom as a JPEG, I can see that the colors are exactly how they appear in Lightroom.

However...

When I upload those JPEGs onto Photobucket/Flickr, the colors look way off from what it looks like on my desktop. I thought that it might have been my internet browser, but turns out it isn't. Any ideas on how to bring the proper colors back into my JPEGs?

How about some examples?

What browser are you using? Its color management may be jacked or you may need to embed the icc profile or something.

Doesn't Lightroom automatically default to ProPhoto profile when your shooting raw or maybe thats PS and I am just mixed up this morning. I know I had this problem before and I was forgetting to change my profile back to sRGB in PS before saving.

Sorry I just saw that your only using Lightroom. I have no idea really then since I shoot raw and edit the tiff in PS to finish. But that could be part of the problem.

Open the jpeg in windows photo viewer. Does it look the same.when opened in LR?

My question is why would you be working in sRGB in Lightroom when it doesn't utilize the full range of colors available but ProPhoto does? Just curious really.

My question is why would you be working in sRGB in Lightroom when it doesn't utilize the full range of colors available but ProPhoto does? Just curious really.

I don't really comprehend the whole color profile thing but all I know is this. Whenever I want to convert a RAW image into a JPEG image that I do PP on in Lightroom, I will right-click the image on Lightroom and select the "edit in Photoshop CS5" option. I will then save it as a JPEG file in Photoshop CS5 onto my desktop. So when I view the JPEG image using Windows Photo Viewer, the colors will look just as it did on my Lightroom.

So are you saying I should change the color profile on my Lightroom to ProPhoto?

Prophoto only matters if you print in prophoto. For web use and MOST print labs, you will use sRGB, and for publishing, mostly CMYK. Both far cries from Prophoto. In addition, if you ever find the need for prophoto, you can switch your RAW file to that colorspace easily. Just my opinion though.

I am stumped on his issue though.

I would re-check the color settings on your browser, lightrom, and photoshop again. Make sure they are all the same.( unless you want to convert manually to sRGB.)

Prophoto only matters if you print in prophoto. For web use and MOST print labs, you will use sRGB, and for publishing, mostly CMYK. Both far cries from Prophoto. In addition, if you ever find the need for prophoto, you can switch your RAW file to that colorspace easily. Just my opinion though.

I am stumped on his issue though.

Not totally in agreement on ProPhoto only mattering for print. Sorry its editting range is larger and that is why you should use it.

I am aware of this, but when I first started using Lightroom it says somewhere in there that sRGB is limited color space and ProPhoto ICC utilizes more of the full color range. Now thats why we have to change it on export to sRGB because thats the standard for webviewing etc. Let me see if I can find the page on Adobe. I think your misunderstanding my question to the OP. I do not export as ProPhoto ICC but I edit in it because its a bigger color space range/gamut and i was wondering why the OP wouln't utilize this. Exporting as sRGB is obvious but you can set Lightroom to export as sRGB and still use the full color range of ProPhoto to edit. Not sure if I am explaining myself well lol. Sorry if so. Just trying to help as I was shown.

These links shows you what I am talking about OP.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_colour/lightroom-colour.htm

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/prophoto-rgb.shtml

I had the same problem before and BigMike explained to me the ProPhoto ICC thing.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter what it utilizes if you ultimately throw 20% of it away to convert to a smaller gamut for the type of work you do. If you use prophoto often, great, leave your options open. If you only print at Walmart and upload to Flickr, its just one more confusing step and one more variable to accidentally forget. I am not saying its not good to use, but just repeating a mantra of "use prophoto" because its in a few books, doesnt mean its the right fit for every photographer. Hence what I said about using what suits your needs.

Last edited:
if you want to see what I mean, go edit a vivid landscape for 2 hours. Now click CTRL-SHIFT-Y with CMYK as your proof setting and watch how much out of gamut you have.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back