Photobucket/Flickr messing up the colors of my photos ! ! ! sRGB problem?

I print at a professional lab and sell my landscapes at a small gallery but also show them on web and not changing my ICC was showing the photo colors as dark hazy when I started. Im saying that when I first started out in photography I didnt know why it was happening and the ICC profile were my issue. Perhaps the OP doesn't understand this and I wanted to share my knowledge. As stated above. I understand about using it to change your needs but I'm not spouting some mantra that has been doctrinated into my head, I'm sharing my experience as to WHY I do it and was curious as to why he chose to do it his way. He states he doesn't completely understand the ICC thing.

You can use ProPhoto because it's huge but most RAW images are within AdobeRGB gamut, unless high saturated. Using ProPhoto can create more problems than it solves (none) in this case. Never use it 8bit either. Guaranteed banding issues!

, I will right-click the image on Lightroom and select the "edit in Photoshop CS5" option. I will then save it as a JPEG file in Photoshop CS5 onto my desktop. So when I view the JPEG image using Windows Photo Viewer, the colors will look just as it did on my Lightroom.

So are you saying I should change the color profile on my Lightroom to ProPhoto?
Lightroom's Develop work space is ProPhoto RGB, and you can't change it.

When you right-click and send the photo to CS5, it is still in the ProPhoto RGB color space (not color profile). When you save the photo to your desktop using CS5 it is still in the Prophoto RGB color space.

Before you save the JPEG to your desktop using CS5 you need to: click on Edit, in the drop down box scroll down to and click on "Convert To Profile". That will open the 'Convert To Profile' dialog box which will show the 'Source Space' that shows what color space the photo is currently in (ProPhoto RGB) and in the next segment you can set the 'Destination Space' to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, or whatever destination space you need (there are a bunch of them).

I print at a professional lab and sell my landscapes at a small gallery but also show them on web and not changing my ICC was showing the photo colors as dark hazy when I started. Im saying that when I first started out in photography I didnt know why it was happening and the ICC profile were my issue. Perhaps the OP doesn't understand this and I wanted to share my knowledge. As stated above. I understand about using it to change your needs but I'm not spouting some mantra that has been doctrinated into my head, I'm sharing my experience as to WHY I do it and was curious as to why he chose to do it his way. He states he doesn't completely understand the ICC thing.

I meant no offense by what I said, just a different view point. I did not mean that YOU were spouting a Mantra, but that gets said a lot as if its just the gospel. There is a reason why there are other colorspaces other than prophoto. Him not completely understanding the ICC thing is EXACTLY why he shouldn't be deviating from sRGB until he does ( in my opinion anyway ).

Also: When I first started, I dove right in with prophoto due to a books advice. I knew nothing about ICC profiles. Anyway, it caused a huge mess. Bad prints, bad uploads, confusion, thinking my photos sucked etc. All because I had jacked up all of my softwares workspaces and never realized where the changes were being made and how to fix it to keep it from happening. Thats why with noobs I tend to advice just to stick with sRGB and learn about other gamuts and how to change/use each before diving in head first.

Last edited:

I meant no offense by what I said, just a different view point. I did not mean that YOU were spouting a Mantra, but that gets said a lot as if its just the gospel. There is a reason why there are other colorspaces other than prophoto. Him not completely understanding the ICC thing is EXACTLY why he shouldn't be deviating from sRGB until he does ( in my opinion anyway ).

Also: When I first started, I dove right in with prophoto due to a books advice. I knew nothing about ICC profiles. Anyway, it caused a huge mess. Bad prints, bad uploads, confusion, thinking my photos sucked etc. All because I had jacked up all of my softwares workspaces and never realized where the changes were being made and how to fix it to keep it from happening. Thats why with noobs I tend to advice just to stick with sRGB and learn about other gamuts and how to change/use each before diving in head first.

No offense taken dear, was just having a hard time explaining myself this morning and wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off like a total douche moron. Its all good.

, I will right-click the image on Lightroom and select the "edit in Photoshop CS5" option. I will then save it as a JPEG file in Photoshop CS5 onto my desktop. So when I view the JPEG image using Windows Photo Viewer, the colors will look just as it did on my Lightroom.

So are you saying I should change the color profile on my Lightroom to ProPhoto?
Lightroom's Develop work space is ProPhoto RGB, and you can't change it.

When you right-click and send the photo to CS5, it is still in the ProPhoto RGB color space (not color profile). When you save the photo to your desktop using CS5 it is still in the Prophoto RGB color space.

Before you save the JPEG to your desktop using CS5 you need to: click on Edit, in the drop down box scroll down to and click on "Convert To Profile". That will open the 'Convert To Profile' dialog box which will show the 'Source Space' that shows what color space the photo is currently in (ProPhoto RGB) and in the next segment you can set the 'Destination Space' to sRGB IEC61966-2.1, or whatever destination space you need (there are a bunch of them).

thanks a million. just what i was looking for :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back