Photobucket uploads

Ronman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I upload my photos to photobucket they look like crap, real noisy. They look fine in PSP after I reduce them to 800x600 but the transition looses a great deal. Am I doing something wrong? Ron

Can you post links to your photobucket image, and the original hosted on your own webspace, so we can see what you are talking about?

It could be that Photobucket may be poorly resampling your images when they upload.

The photos aren't mostly blue/purple by any chance are they?

Photobucket applies it's own compression when you upload. The quality reduces somewhat. As always with JPEG compression blue/purples are the most affected.

The photos aren't mostly blue/purple by any chance are they?

Photobucket applies it's own compression when you upload. The quality reduces somewhat. As always with JPEG compression blue/purples are the most affected.

Reds get pretty screwed too, actually worse than the blues

Do NOT save your resized photos out of Photoshop at 12 - Maximum, but save them at 10, or 9 - High. It will be almost impossible for you to see the difference, but Photoshop will then no longer apply their own resizing software to the photos and they stay much better viewable.

I wasn't aware that Bucket was further compressing my photos. That explains what's happening. I'll experiment and see what I come up with. Thanks, Ron

I used a different program to resize a photo that I was having problems with. Both pictures are posted below. #1 was resized using Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9, #2 was done with Paint Shop Pro 8, the one I've been using.

The real problem is that I don't have a good grasp of pixels, dpi, compression, etc, how they relate to each other, or anything else. I've done a lot of printing, but never posted on the net before, so this wasn't a problem. I need a quantum leap in my understanding of this stuff, but it only comes a little here a little there.

Since I've been hanging around here, for the past month or so, I've learned a few things, but more importantly I've learned about things I didn't know, I didn't know. I got my first camera about 40 yrs ago so I know my way around a camera, but I'm new to digital. I love the PP, and generally everything about it.

Thanks all, ron

Summer2006019PitResz2.jpg

Summer2006019ReszPSP.jpg

Most reactions

Back