Photographers Not Being Photographers

@scatterbrained - how so?

@idahophoto - I checked out some of the photogs you mentioned, and found it ironic that Melissa Rodwell said this just a few blog posts in: "Word on the Tweet is that I don’t blog often enough. So I have a question: Would you rather read a blog by a photographer who doesn’t work but who blogs all the time or would you rather read a blog from a working fashion photographer who’s too busy to write that often, but at least when you read the blog posts, you know that the person writing them is actually working in the industry?"

Perhaps my point needs to be reiterated a little ... if you teach how to be a photographer more than being a photographer itself, something's not right.

I guess it does, because I think I missed it.

Is this post supposed to be teaching us how to be photographers, or is it just blogging?

I'll venture a guess and say, it's spamming...
In the best case scenario - blogging, but surely not teaching anything...just my 2 cents on this

Yeah my basic thoughts, but I'm new and wanted to be optimistic and keep positive thoughts. I am a photographer and I like to hang on forums and swap techniques and ideas. I know what am I thinking?

I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing ideas and techniques. It's totally part of the internet age. If you think a dumb little photographic "secret" is going to somehow gain you more clients, and somehow magically maintain the clients you have, your $%&#ing high. Most people can't tell **** photography from good photography, they just want a good experience as a customer.

It turns out that people who act like true professionals, learning to correspond properly and openly with their clients and keep their books balanced are the ones who will truly succeed. You can be a great photographer and a bad business man, and most likely fail. Or, you can be a mediocre photographer and a great businessman, and most likely do very well.

The thing that I take heart in when I'm out hitting the streets and becoming very good at both, is that 99% of the people flooding this industry fall into the former category... often times not even including the great photographer part. And trust me, taking good pictures is by far the easy part.

Most reactions

Back