"Photographers: you’re being replaced by software"

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by 2WheelPhoto, May 15, 2012.

1. JohnTeigh

JohnTeigh TPF Noob!

photography is changing but so is the world, of course you need to adapt to the changes that are occurring around us. Like the article says fantasy photography is being eaten up by software but real life still needs someone to capture the moments.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So, you're worried that 3D modeling and rendering is going to take away portraiture work? Wedding photography? School photos? Senior photo work? News coverage photos? Sports plays photos?

HOW is it going to do that?

3. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1. That has NOTHING to do with this article. (Did you read it?)

2. It's about the end result from a client's point of view. Either it IS great, or it is NOT. They don't CARE how you got to the final product. They don't care what, if any, software you used, or how good you are with it, any more than they care what camera and lens you used. It just flat out doesn't matter. All that matters is whether or not you can deliver the goods. If you CAN, you get PAID. If you CAN'T, you shuffle off with your empty pockets muttering about how more talented people stole your job.

• Like Like x 1
  4. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right, a lot of clients don't care anymore about how they end up with pictures, but it is at the expence of the photographers that have worked for years at perfecting their skills. What used to be done in camera, is now being done by software technicians on a computer.

Everything software related does have an impact on photography.

5. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They never did.

Not all of it, and that's the point.

No, it doesn't, and that's the point. It's not worth the time and effort to model and render a family of four for the family photo they're going to hang over the mantle. It's not practical. You have to start with an actual image of them for it to look like them. It's not like you can make up 4 fictional characters in a 3D modeling program and sell it to them as the family photo.

Same thing with sports plays and weddings and events and all the rest of the stuff I mentioned.

3D rendering works great for some things, like product photography and fictional scenes and characters. But for real-life type documentation of what little Billy looked like at 7 years old with that big grin and the missing tooth, it doesn't work - it can't - because you have to START with an actual image of little Billy - a kid in India on a computer can't just make up an image of a 7 year old kid with a missing tooth on the fly and make anyone believe THAT really is little Billy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photographers of the future will just be required to have a really good memory - so they can watch the wedding, then go to their office afterwards and spend a couple days modeling it. Hope they don't get any important details wrong...

7. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what you're saying is that I will still be hired to shoot an athlete for an ad instead of someone creating a virtual image on a computer, or that anyone that does product photography will still be hired instead of a computer generated image being used. If I read the article correctly, the images can be created from nothing but a computer and software, how does this not impact photographers? Advertising agencies have been using photographs of professional athletes for years, and they have always hired photographers to shoot them, now, with the use of software they don't have to hire a photographer, just a computer tech and software, it will create work for the graphic industry. Why pay a professional athlete millions when they can create an athlete for a few hundred dollars, afterall, clients don't care where the picture came from.

The photojournalists, wedding and real time photographers won't be affected as much, but they will still be affected.

Can I assume that you are a professional photographer?

8. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL! Do you really think that they pay professional athletes millions of dollars for a photo-shoot?

OR that somebody would take a mere 'few hundred' to model and render the scene?!

9. 12sndsgood

12sndsgood No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would think in that type of ad you would still have the photographer, companies pay an athelete millions because they want there name and image and picture on there product, you'd lose out on the generic ads. I have been seeing allot more photographers/graphic artists coming out. they are learning both sides of the field. I would think it could possibly cut into business of certain photography areas but this isn't something new to an industry, things like this happen in every industry out there really.

10. Fred Berg

Fred Berg Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, of course I read the article. Why do you assume otherwise? My point is that as digital has steadily taken over in photography, film has become increasingly expensive and the equipment (cameras and certain types of film) has been and/or is starting to be discontinued. As more and more people (the Facebook generation in particular) take up this new way of producing the images they want/need, the demand for digital photographic equipment will wane much the same way it has for analogue. So Nikon, Canon, Pentax, et al, will face the same or similar challenges that Kodak, Ilford and Agfa (to name but a few) are facing today. If this takes off big time, all photography could find itself struggling to find a fingerhold in a dwindling market - analogue and digital alike.

11. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, at least for the athlete, assuming we're talking about a real, known athlete. The stadium or other background may well be virtual, and composited in, but the real person will still need to be photographed.

Are you unable to read what I wrote?

Again (for what, the 5th time?), for VIRTUAL people and environments, 3D rendering programs will work fine. For REAL people, it WON'T.

What part of that is difficult for you to grasp? Perhaps it can be explained better until you do.

How? In what way, SPECIFICALLY? Spell it out for me.

No, you cannot assume anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit

They might use 3D modeling to add stuff into (or create entirely) the background or something like that, but like Buckster was saying - they still have to start with an actual picture of the guy.

Unless it's just some generic athlete, and it doesn't have to actually look like a real person.