Photographic competitions

Personally, I would expect to find about half the examples you showed, in a photography magazine.

I also find about 1/3 of the photos currently being published, to be not to my specific taste in photos. I am, biased towards "as shot" black and white, but I have seen many excellent B&W prints that were the product of creative post processing.

Over time, I have found that the perfect print only exists in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I would expect to find about half the examples you showed, in a photography magazine.

I also find about 1/3 of the photos currently being published, to be not to my specific taste in photos. I am, biased towards "as shot" black and white, but I have seen many excellent B&W prints that were the product of creative post processing.

Over time, I have found that the perfect print only exists in the eye of the beholder.
I am, biased towards "as shot" black and white......

Thats the thing about photography, its different for everybody. Thats why competitions dont really make sense.

Most of the macro stuff I create is simply for me. I dont care if anyone else judges it higher than someone else's photo. I still do it because its painstaking work in camera and post processing, I can take a whole day to produce a single image that I am happy with from 110 focus stacked images. The sense of achievement from producing an image that we are happy with is what drives all photographers.

CHEERS
JBO

I entered one once, that was enough for me. Winner was, meh at best.

Over time I have found that for me, simpler is more pleasing. Not because it is better or easier, but because it is natural in nature.

A close up of a butterfly, a macro-photography, coupling a camera to a telescope, are photography skills that require digital processing skills, and allow us to re-create what the eye sees.

Contests, by their nature often to reflect what is avant-garde or sugnificant in the eyes of the judges. Of course, when the judges agree with you it fun.

Most reactions

Back