photographing a ring

morganleigh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to learn how to get really nice pictures of rings. I have been looking for a good tutorial, but haven't found anything. so i just started trying stuff.

BTW, i'm just trying to learn how to photograph the ring. I didn't put any thought into the background & I left the Q-tip poking out of the bottom.

I used my canon 30D with a canon 50mm f/1.8 lens

2018s4.jpg

settings: 1/20 f/1.8, spot metering, hand-held

6018s4.jpg

1/60 f/1.8, spot metering, on tripod
on this one i needed to tilt the ring more towards the camera

I tried a variety of auto & manual focus, but I don't know what I used for these two.

Any tips?

I'd suggest a macro lens...or some way of getting closer. Extension tubes would be a good option.

When you get close and the ring takes up most of the photo, a trick will be trying to hide your reflection from showing up. You could use a light tent and shoot though a hole in the side. A light tent could also help you get nice soft light on the ring.

I'd suggest a macro lens...or some way of getting closer. Extension tubes would be a good option.

When you get close and the ring takes up most of the photo, a trick will be trying to hide your reflection from showing up. You could use a light tent and shoot though a hole in the side. A light tent could also help you get nice soft light on the ring.

I should have explained what I'm trying to accomplish.

I don't want the ring to be most of the picture. I'd want to put the ring in various cool places & also show the location. Or photograph the ring on the person. My interest is mostly for doing engagement pictures, not jewelry photography. so i know they won't be the best pics of a ring, but I want to get them nice.

i was told i could do this without a macro. my wedding photographer used a fisheye on mine & they look great. I'm just trying to figure out what helps. if it's a fast shutter speed, a tripod, type of metering, etc. Is the key to good ring photography keeping it really steady & sharp?

also, i have a canon f/1.8 in 28mm & 50mm. would one be better than the other for rings?

Is the key to good ring photography keeping it really steady & sharp?
That's pretty much the key to 99% of photography, not just rings.

If your goal is just to include the ring in photos...then you don't need to do anything specific because there is a ring...just be creative.

That's pretty much the key to 99% of photography, not just rings.

If your goal is just to include the ring in photos...then you don't need to do anything specific because there is a ring...just be creative.

ok i guess that isn't why i'm finding tips about photographing rings. I thought there were certain ways to photograph them. maybe they are just extra tricky because you can really tell if the picture isn't sharp.

i think taking my ring out for a photo session will be great practice in getting sharp pics.

thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back