Steve56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
steve56.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi people,

I am trying to find out what settings I need to use if I were trying to capture raindrops on the outside of a window (photographing from the inside)

We're having a few rumbles of thunder and it looks like the heavens could open at any moment.

Just wondering what type of settings you'd recommend for such a shot.

Not sure if these are what your after but here is what I used for both:
3_4_11.jpg

50mm - F4 - 1/30 ISO 100

2_10_11.jpg

50mm F2.5 1/8000 ISO 400

That's what I'm after. How did you prevent the reflection of your camera in the window?

Ummm... I'm not sure! The second one was at an obvious angle to the window. And by the way, I didn't use a flash. I forgot to mention that.

Good Luck!

From what I've read, try and get your lens as close to the window as possible, or use a collapsible rubber hood? Definitely don't use flash either.

Not my experience, just what I've read.

Just have someone go outside, and put the water hose on your window ^-^

Very disappointing =/

It's pretty gloomy and stormy here in the US. The entire mid-portion of the country has been having constant storms/tornadoes.

I think angle is the most important thing to avoid reflection

I think angle is the most important thing to avoid reflection

So shooting so close and straight at the window is a no go? I would've thought as much.

Could I increase my shutter speed to give a better flow of rain?

Hang on and I'll take another one. It's doing nothing but storming here... one right after the other.

I couldn't manage to get a better shot other than around f4 (without a flash). I'm sure the pros could find a route. I did try with the flash but didn't like it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back