Photographing the Banal

These are all essentially the same photograph. Which might be the point?

Certainly hammering on the same thing over and over makes it clear that this is a conscious idea, not a mistake.

These are all essentially the same photograph.

How are these the "essentially the same photograph?" They all look different and are interesting, technically well executed, etc...Just wondering what you are seeing that looks all the same to you?

They all have a single primary form placed at the same location in the frame, sometimes horizontally flipped, and a secondary form placed at the same level in the frame but placed in one place or another horizontally, all on a background that is either blank or ignorable.

Some are more alike than others.

It would probably be more accurate to say that there is a very strong graphical theme connecting the images. That's kind of sleist's deal, so it's not a surprise.

They all have a single primary form placed at the same location in the frame, sometimes horizontally flipped, and a secondary form placed at the same level in the frame but placed in one place or another horizontally, all on a background that is either blank or ignorable.

Some are more alike than others.

It would probably be more accurate to say that there is a very strong graphical theme connecting the images. That's kind of sleist's deal, so it's not a surprise.
Gotcha! Makes sense now. :) Thanks for explaining it to me!

Not sure if this qualifies but seems like it might...took this one this afternoon...

Not sure this qualifies but ...

I just see lots of abstracts. some pretty good ones. I don't really get the them part. But that is okay I am over it. some nice photos there guys.

I never thought of this as a single genre, although I shoot a lot of chairs, doors, walls, etc. that seem to be examples of it. Funny about Eggleston - although he photographed some subject matter that interests me I never could warm up to his work. It almost seemed as though part of his point was that he was making the images look like snapshots and that made them art (and please let's not try to define and separate these again), but I guess I missed the joke.

In any event, I'll post some that seem to be along the lines of others posted here.

chair & post.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back