Photographing the Banal

IMG_5041-crop+scale.jpg

What is the story behind this neglected little white car? Is its owner ill? Perhaps it belonged to a dear, departed relative and is awaiting resolution of the estate? Maybe it's broken-down, its owner unable to afford the repair bill? Given the evidence, we might surmise its owner is reluctant to drive a vehicle so ill-suited for the weather in which it finds itself. Or maybe they simply have nowhere to go and feel the effort of cleaning it off pointless? After all: Spring will eventually arrive and do the work for them.

Fascinating perspective, @espresso2x.

When I see things like that car, and many of the things like some of those I've seen posted to this thread, I believe pondering them establishes a kind of rapport. Take that fence you posted. What is its story? Surely it had a purpose. Does it still serve that purpose? Is it abandoned? Neither? Was it meant to keep something in, or out? Both?

In the photo I'll post following this, such questions are more easily-answered, but a host of others might be raised.

Or not...

Last edited:
Fascinating perspective, @espresso2x.

When I see things like that car, and many of the things like some of those I've seen posted to this thread, I believe pondering them establishes a kind of rapport. Take that fence you posted. What is its story? Surely it had a purpose. Does it still serve that purpose? Is it abandoned? Neither?

In the photo I'll post following this, such questions are more easily-answered, but a host of others might be raised.

Or not...

Hard to put into words, so pictures. With some pictures there's a personal connection, but it's secondary or even private. But rather than being just indulgent, the currency of the picture is relationships of shape, form, colour, proportion, distance. Something like this, i struggle to explain it.

It's a fence put up because the hillock within it is being affected by subsidence and it's part of medieval motte, castle mound. I like the light, the b&w tones, the rythym of the fence, the tight framing of the fence, the wintery oak tree.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back