Photographing the Milky Way?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. Looking for some recommended tutorials or tips on photographing the Milky Way. One of my photo groups has a planned Milky Way shoot that I am thinking of joining. There will be a few experienced night sky shooters there willing to help out but I'd like to have a bit of a clue what I'm doing. Looking to do a little research first and maybe a practice shoot locally. I have no idea how to get started. I've done very little night shooting other than some city nightscapes.

The planned location involves a long drive for me so I want to make sure I have the right equipment with me and know how to use it. All advice/tips/inspirational photos (if you include equipment and settings) are welcome in this thread.

I'll be using my xt2 with either 14mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/2 (assuming wide angle is preferred?).

I have never shooted the milky way before but the only thing that i can recommend is YouTube they should have some good tutorials. Here is one, i have not watched this video but just pulled one up for you, i hope it helps.

Warm clothing and extra lens cloths, torch
Rem to put extra batteries in an inside pocket to keep them warm cold will kill batteries

The 14mm should be fine. Bring a flashlight if you dont want to drain your cell phone. PhotoPills app is useful but cost is 9.95. The wider the angle, the more of the milky way will show, 14mm is a good choice. Tripod, remote, rocket blower, and microfiber towel. Spare batteries.

Bring a flashlight if you dont want to drain your cell phone.
Along with this, how involved are the others with astrophotography? Do you need a red light flashlight vs regular? I can imagine some people getting mighty angry if their eyes finally adjusted to the darkness and then you start waving a regular flashlight around...

Along with this, how involved are the others with astrophotography? Do you need a red light flashlight vs regular? I can imagine some people getting mighty angry if their eyes finally adjusted to the darkness and then you start waving a regular flashlight around...
^^^THIS!!!!

Red filters are typically found on the military style angle flashlights:
s-l1000.jpg

but Maglight makes red filters also and typically they can be found on the astrophotography websites.

Oh and a P.S. on the flashlight thing...

Get in the habit of pointing it DOWN!

Nothing sucks more than a flashlight being waived around when the shutters are open.
the typical pattern is to hold it pointed down to the ground while walking and letting ambient light do the job.

Seem like TCampbell has done two lengthy posts on Milky Way shooting

I have never shooted the milky way before but the only thing that i can recommend is YouTube they should have some good tutorials. Here is one, i have not watched this video but just pulled one up for you, i hope it helps.

Thanks for googling for me. I do appreciate your help but was hoping for some specific links that others had tried and found helpful.

Warm clothing and extra lens cloths, torch
Rem to put extra batteries in an inside pocket to keep them warm cold will kill batteries

I'm hoping we get warmer weather by then - it's about a month away.

The people with the group will give the best advice.
But polar trackers, certain kinds of adapters with Mead telescopes and the like is where you want to start.

Astrophotography also requires SOLIDLY planted cameras so that you dont get trails, although that can look cool as hell too.

Start here:
Meade’s LX850 Astro-Imaging System / Meade.com Telescopes, Solar Telescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes

Thanks will check it out.

The 14mm should be fine. Bring a flashlight if you dont want to drain your cell phone. PhotoPills app is useful but cost is 9.95. The wider the angle, the more of the milky way will show, 14mm is a good choice. Tripod, remote, rocket blower, and microfiber towel. Spare batteries.

Noted - thanks. Considering picking up one of the Rokinon 12mm just for this type of thing...

Not sure have never shot with these particular members of the group but - I will be sure to ask ahead of time and get what I need.

^^^THIS!!!!

Red filters are typically found on the military style angle flashlights:
s-l1000.jpg

but Maglight makes red filters also and typically they can be found on the astrophotography websites.

Oh and a P.S. on the flashlight thing...

Get in the habit of pointing it DOWN!

Nothing sucks more than a flashlight being waived around when the shutters are open.
the typical pattern is to hold it pointed down to the ground while walking and letting ambient light do the job.

Thanks will see what I can find or borrow.

Seem like TCampbell has done two lengthy posts on Milky Way shooting

Oooooh really? Off to search right now. THANKS!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back