Photographs, Distribution

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd call myself a hobbyist, or an advanced amateur, but nothing more. That and the fact that I'm 17. Every time I go to an event, somebody asks for my information whether it be a person who participated in the event, or some random parent who wants some photos. While I obviously don't have a business or whatnot, I love just going to tons of events and shooting for fun. Here's my question:

So many times people ask me photographs, however I fell like they might use them and I get no credit whatsoever. Should I (C) Colin Bassett at the very bottom of my photograph, or should I leave them alone? I mean I do all of it for fun, and for more experience, but come on, stealing photos and using them for your own sake is dick.

For example, our church organist is a pretty famous musician, and composer, Joe Turrin. At a recent event at my church who had a concert that featured the Brass Band of the Salvation army, Bob McGrath [of SESAME STREET], and Joe Turrin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5Tqr1wFSs[/ame]
[Bob can be seen @ 0:10, the guy with the sweater]

A few people asked me for photos, what should I do?

:addpics:

Only you can answer this question.

Thinks for you to think about: Who is asking for prints, what size, and how many? IMO it would be fine to go with your name along the edge (but do not but it too close to the edge because it can get cut off) or if the lab you use has a machine that does back print, they can add your name and date to the backs automatically.

I'll get some pic up tomorrow, to lazy to open PS right now. I mean I won't be printing these whatsoever, all I'll be doing is sending them to people.

If you're happy about being recognised and asked, and willing to send your files out to people, then why not? If you feel they should at best not go pass those photos off as their own, add a little (quite transparent, if possible) watermark to your photos. Mine's so hidden, I doubt many see it at first sight, so might mistakenly think they can pass them on as their own without manipulating them further (i.e. clone out the watermark), and I will always know where to look and could (never happened so far) point out that "hey, this is mine, look, here's my watermark". And I never hand out full-size files, always and exclusively reduced size files.

Not sure If I want to watermark or just add it at the bottom. Watermark is harder to erae, but it's sometimes a lot more noticible.

I'll get some pic up tomorrow, to lazy to open PS right now. I mean I won't be printing these whatsoever, all I'll be doing is sending them to people.

You create a LOT more value with prints. People place a higher value on something physical than just data (just think of how entitled people feel about music these days...)

Don't be lazy, there's a real opportunity here - both to earn moeny, and to learn about business, yourself, and the world.

If your handing out prints if you go through a proper printing website or local print lab you can get them to print copywrite on the back of the photo - then any professional printing lab will not copy such prints unless they either have written permission from you the photographer or your copywrite runs out (which generaly happens a good while after your dead).
Its something that quite a few people get caught out on with old wedding photos - official labs won't scan and reprint them since they are still under copywrite.

Also on prints its far less invasive to have it on the back than on the front - if you want your name on the front then best thing is to present the image in a good sized frame with a name bar at the bottom. If you get really famous you can then start scribbling your name on the photo ;)

This last weekend I was walking around with my D700, 70-200 and SB-800 around at a local shopping center. I was there to take pictures of my niece doing her community service time.

During the 4 hours I was there, I was approached at least 10 times be people asking for professional services. I am not interested in becoming a professional, I am not interested in losing control or ownership of my pictures and so just said that I was not a professional and not interested in their offer ("... but thank-you very much... however, there is a professional photographer just down this corridor who would be more than capable in helping you out...").

Either you are a professional... or you are not. As a professional, act like one, *charge* like one, offer services and products *worthy* of one, or hand out your pics and don't care what happens to them... or do what I did.

It is not all that complicated at all !

As a pro, you will not put watermarks on pics that have been paid for, just a note. If you need to give someone something, charge them for a print without your watermark, or if you are giving it to them... only then could you watermark it, and make sure it is subtle.

If your handing out prints if you go through a proper printing website or local print lab you can get them to print copywrite on the back of the photo - then any professional printing lab will not copy such prints unless they either have written permission from you the photographer or your copywrite runs out (which generaly happens a good while after your dead).

There is nothing stopping anyone from scanning a photo with a $25 scanner and taking that to a pro lab, though.

While I dont mind occassionally handing out printed pictures, if it comes to the point that everyone wants one or two, then charging for them would be appropriate. And do copywrite them on the backs atleast.

Even if you want to continue doing your work for free, think of it as an opportunity to set yourself up for a future career. You don't want to slight yourself by giving things away too easily with no link to who you are. Because you never know, maybe years from now you will be doing this for money, and all the free projects now could be continued on in the future.

Thanks guys. I'll probably look to having some of these printed up for the people that want to buy them. I could have some business cards made up also, hahah, no more e-mail on hands :p

If you're happy about being recognised and asked, and willing to send your files out to people, then why not? If you feel they should at best not go pass those photos off as their own, add a little (quite transparent, if possible) watermark to your photos. Mine's so hidden, I doubt many see it at first sight, so might mistakenly think they can pass them on as their own without manipulating them further (i.e. clone out the watermark), and I will always know where to look and could (never happened so far) point out that "hey, this is mine, look, here's my watermark". And I never hand out full-size files, always and exclusively reduced size files.
Very good advice:thumbup:

So guys, I actually sold one of my pictures that I took at my school's fall play. I had it printed, and framed, and my signature on the matte. Sold it for $100 WOWZA! They offered $125, but figuring it was my first time, and my overhead was $60 I figured it was a good deal [for a non-pro]

Most reactions

Back