Photography Education

I'm not necessarily determined to get a photography. I'm more just asking around for advice from people with more experience and people using their hindsight looking back on possible choices they wish they had made and just all around advice. Not necessarily determined on anything presently. thanks. :)

I went to the local Vocational school for three hours a day for my junior and senior year of high school for starters. The I went to OSU Okmulgee which has a major photography program. Then I went to work doing photography.

Now for the real nitty gritty. The first year in vo-tech we learned darn near everything you could pack into that amount of time about B&W photography. We shot small, medium and large format camera. We learned how to do copy negs, portraits, commercial ect. The second year was the same with color.

OSU was start all over again and become even better than you were.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Last edited:
I have no problem booking clients and making money. I research until I am blue in the face and learn from other photographers. That in my opinion is the best way...

The best way to learn, is #1, get on this site a lot and read, read, read. Also, you CAN teach yourself with lots of practice, practice! I did a combo of taking a few photography classes at a local camera shop, but in all honesty, I have learned the most so far by practicing and reading.

Check your local college. I'm fortunate in Tampa the university offers a photography program to include basic and advanced photography, studio lighting and advanced, a business course aligned with photography (HIGHLY suggested), and several other courses.

Not only have i found these courses to be extremely help and productive, but you will network with the best photographers in your area and get studio time and exposure for glamour/model/product shoots (outside of classes) that will blow your mind if you show a true interest and are willing to help move lights around and make an emergency run for hair spray for the hair artist and such.

Check your local college. I'm fortunate in Tampa the university offers a photography program to include basic and advanced photography, studio lighting and advanced, a business course aligned with photography (HIGHLY suggested), and several other courses.

Not only have i found these courses to be extremely help and productive, but you will network with the best photographers in your area and get studio time and exposure for glamour/model/product shoots (outside of classes) that will blow your mind if you show a true interest and are willing to help move lights around and make an emergency run for hair spray for the hair artist and such.

I meant to say that as well above. Local colleges sometimes offer continuing education courses, without having to enroll in an entire degree program. I took some photography classes at a local camera shop here, taught by an instructor at a local college and the prices were reasonable.

Oops.

Didn't look at the date

Last edited:
I have no problem booking clients and making money. I research until I am blue in the face and learn from other photographers. That in my opinion is the best way...

Did you even bother checking the date on the ancient thread you decided to open just so you could inject your "opinion"?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back