Photography Education

DubDeez.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I'm 18 years old and am really starting to look at an advanced formal education in photography. I was wondering if anyone on here has done the same thing and where they went? What did you think? Or did most of you just read, read, and read some more and self teach yourself to where you are now?

Thanks!

Go for the formal education.......... taking a photograph is easy, becoming a photographer is hard work. Work like crazy and enjoy every moment of it. Love your photography and it will love you back.

The plus side of a formal education is a sound knowledge of the basics (taking the picture) that will become second nature and the people that you meet (fellow students and teachers) in this way will help you to push your boundries (becoming a photographer).

im 17 and doing a intro to photo class in high school and it's so beast. I wanted and still want to major in photography when I go to college come next fall, but everyone is pushing me to do graphic design more cause there are more job oppurtunities in the field. but ye me aunt said that our community college provides secondary photography classes so i would say check with you local college and see if they have anything

Read and practice.
For me, I spent a ton of time, years, on the web looking at some of the best photographers work on the planet. Naturescapes and Fred Miranda.
Then posting my own work there and getting the daylights beat out of me in critique, learned from the bruising and practiced practiced then practiced some more.
If you are very lucky you can find a photographic mentor (who is actually good, doesn't just think he is good) who will help you, that would cut years off your development process.
To become VERY good at photography is a real journey, it isn't that hard to reach average, but to really get to the top takes an enormous amount of energy and hard work, mixed in with some luck.
I wish you luck!

Don't forget to include a healthy mix of business/marketing classes in your education! Being a good photographer is only the beginning of the battle of being a successful professional.

icassell,
Testify!!

??? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I have had friends who are "professionals" who have struggled and barely made ends meet. They are good or better artists, but don't have the business saavy or drive.

I hate to burst your bubble but you should not get a degree in photography. Get a degree in business then assist with a few photographers to learn the photography business. If I had it to do over again I would get a business degree instead.

Reading is good but you need to do. You need to shoot, shoot, shoot. Experiment with light and equipment. Find a photographer who's work you like and assist for them, usually for free, and be their shadow. You will learn an amazing amount.

That experience combined with a business degree and you are ready to go in the photographic industry.

Thanks everyone for your input! Very helpful! :D

Hi,
Nice forum even i am trying to start my eduction in photography can you give me the information what you have known till now.Expecting a reply thank you in advance

Honestly, if I was given the choice of majoring in it, I wouldn't. Photography is something I do for fun just like how I fix computers. I don't really want to stress over it with school and whatnot and hate it, and actually work on it everyday.

Regardless, I read about it, watch videos, do workshops and honestly, I wouldn't mind working part time with it. Personally I know several pros that haven't done any proper training and they have common jobs while doing photography part time. IMO, I think you go pro without proper education if you're just committed to it. Goodluck with whatever you're doing! :)

I am very much considering a Photojournalism Degree and possibly do weddings and portrait work on the side possibly. I am not really aware of many schools that offer an actual Photojournalism degrees. Any other ideas anyone?

Photojournalism is the highest form of photography.

Shoot stuff that means something.

Everything else is for people who want to be artists but can't paint. :greenpbl:

I was a fine art major for two years.

I am very much considering a Photojournalism Degree and possibly do weddings and portrait work on the side possibly. I am not really aware of many schools that offer an actual Photojournalism degrees. Any other ideas anyone?

Why are you determined to get a photography degree? Why not get a business degree that can be used in any situation and learn photography from a photographer that you admire?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back