Photography for a Sorority

My goodness guys, thanks for all the replies, let me catch up real quick.

After they are in, don't forget monthly dues...

Do you already have any shots of similiar work you have done to show them what you can do?

I remember my fraternity days, where I intentionally stayed what we called "GDI" (gol durn independent).

Unfortunatly, I do not have any type of work I have previously done like what I THINK they are wanting.

strike a deal where you're their exclusive and official photographer - annual group and individual photos

That would be REALLY nice. I'm not sure what I would have to go through to get this done, though. I will still have to talk with the girl and see SPECIFICALLY what I am required to do.

I don't have much experience with this stuff, but I'd say charge them whatever your normal rate is. They have the money to pay for it.
You're a photographer, and you need to be paid for the work you're doing.
I also like raider's idea..

I definitely need to be charging for what I'm working for. 2 hrs is not a short amount of time for anyone, let alone working with a sorority. I'm sure they have the money to pay for it. I'm pretty sure it might turn into Joe Smo doing them because he is a parent to one of the girls or something and not charging it and getting crappy pictures.

I'm not sure I understand what type of photos they want. Do they just want photos of the couples at their event/party? And then they want you to hand over the files so that they can make money by selling the prints?

What about PP? Would that be your responsibility or not?

Are they wanting to sell the images right then & there, or sometime later?

Are you set up for on-line proofing & sales? Maybe you could tell them that you will sell the prints and offer them 40-50% of the profit (if this is a fund raising type thing for them). That way, you make your fee and enough on the prints to make it worth your time...and they get a little something.

Thanks Mike. As I said above, I really do not know any more details. I haven't really gone into what she is wanting me to do. I can be about 75% sure that this would be fundraising type deal. They are always finding some ways to make money, but I shouldn't suffer because of that, right? If they want quality work, then there is a price.

I'd charge the normal rate.

And if they wanted the photos to print for themselves, sell them the disk or disks with the photo's on them, for whatever you think is a good price. You'll never see another dime from them, and Greek have deep pockets.

I was thinking of a disc also with all the images. I will have to see about PP and how much time they want. Depending on how long they needed to have the prints, I could PP there and burn a disc. I do not have a going rate for just images burned to CD/DVD but might have to for this occasion. They would be paying for the actual photography and my lost revenue on the prints THEY would be printing from that CD.

I would say it depends on whether you are doing this as a friend or as a business... if it's strictly business I would either charge your usual and customary, or do what big mike said. If this is a favor for a friend you might work out some sort of discount i.e. you profit on sitting fee but they "raise funds" on prints, but I would look into whether they are a nonprofit and if so, see if you could get a tax receipt for the portion of services that you "donated" to their organization. Just a thought.

This would strictly be as a business. To be bluntly, this girl is not a friend, I just work with here and she knows I do photography. I'd hate to bite myself in the ass and charge an arm and a leg and not get anything back later - like from familys or just someone wanting headshots.....something that might spurn off of this opportunity to gain more business. I will have to ask and see if they are non-profit.

Don't believe that a "Greek" social (party) organization could ever be considered as not for profit.

By the time you are done, whether you charge or not, bet you will earn whatever you do get for your services.

Do you know any young girl who isn't picky-picky about how she looks all dressed up in a photograph?

I don't know anything about a Greek society so.......I do know that they're going to want a picture to look good and not have a crappy one from Joe Smo as I said before.

Thanks for all the feedback

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back