Photography Poll

LisaMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok just out of curiosity (rather mostly for the sake that i notice when exporting my pictures out of lightroom jpeg isnt as good as the other exporting choices) which file (also im not sure if thats the right trerminology but if not please let me know the proper term) majority of you use when exporting your pictures out of a picture processing program, exampe Tiff, dng, pdf, jpeg, ect..

Thanks,

Also, does anyone else notice the difference between jpegs, and the other larger picture storing ..files?/ (haha theres that wrong word again)

I use jpeg for posting on the web, saved at highest quality, but often resized so the web photo host doesn't resize for me. I used to save TIFF if I wanted to go back to the photo and re-edit, but now I just save the PSD file and make sure I have a copy of the original. Never save back to DNG or PDF though.

What is it you plan on doing with them?

Thanks for the reply, oh just out of curiostiy sherman, whats the highest quality a jpeg can be save at?

In photoshop, it's like level 12 (max), lol. I don't know exactly how it translates to data loss, but I am assuming it's at a very minimum if any.

I always export as JPG. I haven't noticed any problems with it yet.

If there ever was a problem, I can always go back to the RAW and export as something else.

Same here. I save the original, export as JPG at High quality, resizing for web and such.

I tend to process from RAW, save the edited version as a PSD, then resize that down to JPEG, usually at 800px on the longest side + a border. The end result is what I post to flickr or where ever. Normally, I'll save the JPEG at 10, 11 or 12 quality, depending on what sort of file size it's looking like - I usually try to keep the file size at 400Kb or less.

I shoot mostly in RAW and then convert to a high-res JPG. I save that, and then resize to be web and upload friendly if I'm uploading to photobucket, facebook, etc.

For print, you want your images to be at 300dpi (dots per inch) while at the actual print size (8"x10" for example). That's what my graphic artist here at work tells me ;) I never change the DPI on my images, so whatever they are at works for me when I do prints, but I never do anything larger at 8x10 at this point.

In the photography printing industry there are 2 acceptable file types for output to print.
TIFF and JPEG. A JPEG uploaded at the highest possible quality level, 12, is visually indistinguishable from a TIFF of the same image.

Most print labs much prefer JPEGS because they are smaller files and use sup far less memory space. JPEGS are usually only 1/4 the file size of a TIFF.

Many print labs will ONLY accept JPEG files. TIFF "is a complicated format that incorporates an extremely wide range of options. While this makes TIFF useful as a generic format for interchange between professional image editing applications, it makes adding support for it to applications a much bigger task and so it has little support in applications not concerned with image manipulation (such as web browsers). It also means that many applications can read only a subset of TIFF types, creating more potential user confusion." (Wikipedia)

I keep all the Raws, do post processing, save as TIFF and use that as my "master" if I ever want to save it as something else later for the web or whatever. And of course, I can always go back and reprocess from the raw file.

You don't want to save the same file repeatedly as a jpeg.

Haven't we been over this already LisaMarie?

The highest JPEG export quality in Photoshop is level 12, baseline standard. Level 10 is just as acceptable for most purposes (such as printing, so long as the JPEG is not enlarged to accommodate a larger print size), and is the highest quality setting available in Lightroom. As noted by KmH, there is no practical difference visually between a high-quality JPEG and a TIFF, especially when being viewed on a computer monitor.

Go spend some time on Wikipedia and learn your image formats.

Haven't we been over this already LisaMarie?

Go spend some time on Wikipedia and learn your image formats.

Or, she could come here, to the "beginner's forum" of The PhotoForum and ask questions of people who know the answers and get polite replies.

The highest JPEG export quality in Photoshop is level 12, baseline standard. Level 10 is just as acceptable for most purposes (such as printing, so long as the JPEG is not enlarged to accommodate a larger print size), and is the highest quality setting available in Lightroom. As noted by KmH, there is no practical difference visually between a high-quality JPEG and a TIFF, especially when being viewed on a computer monitor.

Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?

I always kinda thought that they were both the 'highest quality', and that PS just has more steps leading up to that.

Agree? Disagree?

Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?

I always kinda thought that they were both the 'highest quality', and that PS just has more steps leading up to that.

Agree? Disagree?

:lol: This reminds of me of Spinal Tap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back