Josh66
Been spending a lot of time on here!
- Joined
- Oct 31, 2007
- Messages
- 14,593
- Reaction score
- 1,239
- Location
- Cedar Hill, Texas
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos NOT OK to edit
:lmao: Thanks. I needed that.
The highest JPEG export quality in Photoshop is level 12, baseline standard. Level 10 is just as acceptable for most purposes (such as printing, so long as the JPEG is not enlarged to accommodate a larger print size), and is the highest quality setting available in Lightroom. As noted by KmH, there is no practical difference visually between a high-quality JPEG and a TIFF, especially when being viewed on a computer monitor.
Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?
I always kinda thought that they were both the 'highest quality', and that PS just has more steps leading up to that.
Agree? Disagree?
Haven't we been over this already LisaMarie?
Go spend some time on Wikipedia and learn your image formats.
Or, she could come here, to the "beginner's forum" of The PhotoForum and ask questions of people who know the answers and get polite replies.
...which file (also im not sure if thats the right trerminology but if not please let me know the proper term) majority of you use when exporting your pictures out of a picture processing program, exampe Tiff, dng, pdf, jpeg, ect..
Also, does anyone else notice the difference between jpegs, and the other larger picture storing ..files?
Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?
True, but save them each 15 times and compare again.Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?
I recently did some personal testing to see if I could reduce file size for uploading family snaps to SmugMug. I took the same photo, and saved it in PS as a quality 12 jpeg and a quality 8 jpeg. I could see no difference in 8"x12" prints or pixel peeping. I'm not going to do this with client work, but in general I think the difference is pretty hard to see.
A high quality JPG is already a pretty small file, how small is a 'medium' quality JPG? I don't see how there could be any possible advantage to using less than the highest quality offered, other than file size. As small as JPGs are to begin with, I don't see how a few less KB matters.Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?
I recently did some personal testing to see if I could reduce file size for uploading family snaps to SmugMug. I took the same photo, and saved it in PS as a quality 12 jpeg and a quality 8 jpeg. I could see no difference in 8"x12" prints or pixel peeping. I'm not going to do this with client work, but in general I think the difference is pretty hard to see.
I understand what you're saying, but why would anyone do that?True, but save them each 15 times and compare again.Is there really a difference between LR's 10 and PS's 12? Is a PS JPG really "2 notches" (?) better than a LR JPG?
I recently did some personal testing to see if I could reduce file size for uploading family snaps to SmugMug. I took the same photo, and saved it in PS as a quality 12 jpeg and a quality 8 jpeg. I could see no difference in 8"x12" prints or pixel peeping. I'm not going to do this with client work, but in general I think the difference is pretty hard to see.
Then you'll see a difference.

Thanks for "overlooking" that. I feel like I really dodged a bullet there.I'll overlook that quoting someone like that is what I easily consider an attempt to quote out-of-context (disregarding the full body text of my previous remark removes the context that—in my view—justifies me being a little perturbed).
Her question regarding the quality of JPEG exports from LR have already been essentially tackled here. Excuse me for being a little miffed about us (I and other forum members) seemingly having to repeat ourselves in different threads to get our points across. (That is, answering various permutations of what is in essence the same question, or a series of closely related questions; it could be better handled in one thread, for the benefit of all, rather than two or three).