Photography Software

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I've been at photoshoots for product photography for my company, I notice the photographer sometimes triggers his camera from his computer. What software allows you to do this and what other accessories do you need to accomplish this? Is it something I can even do with my Rebel XS? For photos I have to take for work usually requires a lot of candid photos and in some cases it would help big time if I could just trigger the photo and see it right away on my computer to see if I need to refocus.

It is tethered shooting. I can only speak for Pentax, but w/ my K10D I can do this, and I'm sure Canon and Nikon has some sort of software that comes w/ your camera that allows it as well.

I can do it with my 7D and with my 30D with the Canon software that came with the camera -- not sure if the Rebels can do it.

I found a copy of the XS manual on line which doesn't talk about tethered shooting -- but neither does the manual on my 7D. It is handled through Canon Zoom Browser software .... check yours out.

Last edited:
I think you might also be able to shoot tethered with Canon EOS Utility or Canon Remote Capture (or something like that). I think I may have read that you can do it with LR as well, but I'm not sure.

is this downloadable somewhere? when I go to the canon site it just shows the updater and not the full download. I googled it and just want to make sure there is a reputable site to download it from...

I ended up just downloading a torrent since I'm traveling and don't have my CD with me.

It is on the utility disk that comes with the camera. I think Mike is right -- it's called Remote Capture and is integrated into Zoom Browser if I recall correctly (I'm at work and can't check).

It will work on Rebels. I can shoot mine tethered with the bundled software.

Most reactions

Back