Photography tools

Pearl_dev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can I make use of only phone for photography?

Absolutely, and Welcome to the forum! =]

*Edit There is a thread of photos taken with a phone. Post lots of pictures there. =]

Pearl, it is possible.
I do not have much experience, yet, with photography, but just work with what little I know so far.
All I have, so far, is a low end phone. It does not permit me to do many of the things I would really like to work on, but it is a start.

167.jpg

2014_0524 Oregon coast.JPG

Both with iPhone 4...5 megapixel camera.

Last edited:
Some fones have pretty decent enough cameras but perhaps don't give you the flexibility and capability of s DSLR, mirrorless, or film camera. Depends what you wan out of photography I suppose.

Welcome.

Hi welcome
If the phone takes a photo then why not.
Whilst a DSLR/SLR with interchangeable lenses will more scope same advice I would give anyone is
Play with the camera/phone learn its ability and limits

If it has a camera... yes.

Have fun.

Definitely, one of the ladies in our camera club is quite creative with her cell phone photos.

Yes, but you will be limiting what you can shoot as cell phone cameras have their limitations. They are not very good at shooting wildlife / birds / sports, where higher resolution and longer focal lengths are a must. They are not very good for macro photography either. You really can't resize a cell phone image without loss of quality and you really don't have control over depth of field.

With that said, there are online tutorials on how to get the most out of your cell phone camera and emphasize the type of photography they are good at.

Strodav,

Yep there is no doubt that cell phone cameras have their limitations, but they are essentially free to anyone who buys a cell phone.

Much of the photograph that I do can not be conveniently done with a cell phone, such as adapting my old film camera lenses, manual manipulation of all the camera adjustments, speedy zooms and crops etc.

However, the cellphone folk are constantly seeking additional features. Multi-lenses, adapters for telescopes, Bokeh control, I even got a clip-on telephoto lens for Christmas a few years back. Some of these attachments are kind of hokey but they show where the consumer market developing money is being spent.

Learning to take photos with a phone camera also help one understand the usefulness of the standard camera features.

In my opinion, the biggest impact on the photographic market is the fact that, the entry level digital camera cost keep increasing, as compared to the decreasing costs of a smart cell phone. In time I expect the two to morph into a common unit where lens quality is over taken by on board digital image processing.

That does not mean I am giving up my 4x5 cut film view camera anytime soon, however.

Strodav,

Yep there is no doubt that cell phone cameras have their limitations, but they are essentially free to anyone who buys a cell phone.

Much of the photograph that I do can not be conveniently done with a cell phone, such as adapting my old film camera lenses, manual manipulation of all the camera adjustments, speedy zooms and crops etc.

However, the cellphone folk are constantly seeking additional features. Multi-lenses, adapters for telescopes, Bokeh control, I even got a clip-on telephoto lens for Christmas a few years back. Some of these attachments are kind of hokey but they show where the consumer market developing money is being spent.

Learning to take photos with a phone camera also help one understand the usefulness of the standard camera features.

In my opinion, the biggest impact on the photographic market is the fact that, the entry level digital camera cost keep increasing, as compared to the decreasing costs of a smart cell phone. In time I expect the two to morph into a common unit where lens quality is over taken by on board digital image processing.

That does not mean I am giving up my 4x5 cut film view camera anytime soon, however.

Motorola had on the Z3 Play the option of putting on a "Hasselblad" true zoom attachment as a "Mod".
There are some really cool features but highly impractical and poorly designed.

The aspect found with most younger folk not taught in schools the aspects of art and science, and the segregation of knowledge has morphed into a hodgepodge of nonsensical convenience for the consumer.
You might carry around a wristwatch and wallet full of money and cards and a calculator (if an engineer) with the pocket protector, and a camera strapped over your neck...

But to the modern kids, everything is wrapped up into one little package called an iPhone.

The camera on the phones are also idiot proofed, and most who use them are satisfied with the result. Mostly because their attention span is about 6 seconds.

it makes me wonder how many photos are sitting in Fakebook's servers never to be seen again.

Soocom

Having technology blindly leading a skill set is certainly a double edge sword.

But package electronic wonders have certainly been a boon to me in my lifetime, Xerox, cellphones, computers, garage door openers even automobiles that do not need their spark plugs cleaned in the spring and changed before winter are just a few of the conveniences that I enjoy which my Grand-kids accept a routine. I am also certain that my grandfather thought I would surely starve to death, because I did not even know how to hitch up a team of mules.

What is important changes with the generations but the old skills are lost, except for those who practice them as a hobby.

indeed you can.
Phones generally don't have anywhere near the same degree of control as dedicated cameras, but most people always have one with them & very few phones are made without cameras these days. I've seen photos from phones that surpass the vast majority of the results I've achieved with a camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back