Photography Websites- No More Flash

My website is all JS and HTML and I am quite proud of it.

I built my site with HTML and JS too. I'm not against flash but I know that I'd rather have everyone be able to see my site than to risk losing potential customers that are not able to see my site or are too impatient to wait for a full flash site to load. I know I will usually leave slow pages or anything with music.

Anything wrong with using sites like smugmug.com for your website? I have mine on smugmug, with my own domain. I have access to their products and services.

Anything wrong with using sites like smugmug.com for your website? I have mine on smugmug, with my own domain. I have access to their products and services.

I think it can come across as unprofessional, but people have varying thoughts on this. But depending on what type of clients you're trying to attract, like in the editorial or commercial worlds, it is definitely looked down upon and is a good way to designate yourself as not serious about your work.

I developed my site manually in HTML and JS (there's some PHP in there too, under the hood) and I'm quite happy with it that way. I do like flash, but only in moderation. A little of it goes a long way and I tend not to hang around sites that are too 'flashy'.

No matter what however, I think that a good photography site should be like a frame holding a fine print: it shouldn't compete with or draw focus away from the photography being displayed. Just my opinion though..

Most reactions

Back