Photography Websites- No More Flash

facepalm.jpg

I was joking. But streaming movies is mighty neat. :thumbup:

Side note just from experience: If anyone on here is byhaps a Tivo user, beware of the new promotions at websites like Amazon for massively discounted DVR units. Instead of the 12.95 you would be paying for a service agreement per month, you'll be paying $19.95 per month for the first year (so Tivo says). But there's no guarantee of a service fee decrease. The unit is ALSO not eligible for a second unit rate. We have a single Tivo XL for upstairs, and we were looking at getting another for the downstairs TV at the discounted rate... We weren't too happy about the hidden catches.

Totally off topic, but I figured it was useful information for any Tivo users that might be roamin'.

In this thread: iProduct purchasers who are upset about the lack of support for flash.

I couldn't care less about flash support. And I couldn't care less about Droid vs iPhone. But if you're goingto start calling people out, your Droid fanboy attitude is far stronger than anyone else's iProduct attitude in here.

I also know plenty of people in the professional media sector who have Droids or Blackberries. And they all got one because they looked around and decided it was the best for what they needed, not because they had a "F*** Apple, I'm cooler than Steve Jobs" attitude.

In this thread: iProduct purchasers who are upset about the lack of support for flash.

I couldn't care less about flash support. And I couldn't care less about Droid vs iPhone. But if you're goingto start calling people out, your Droid fanboy attitude is far stronger than anyone else's iProduct attitude in here.

I also know plenty of people in the professional media sector who have Droids or Blackberries. And they all got one because they looked around and decided it was the best for what they needed, not because they had a "F*** Apple, I'm cooler than Steve Jobs" attitude.

I'm not calling anyone out! I don't even have a ****ing droid! :lmao:

Can't view a Flash Website on your iPhone or iPad?

It's okay, let me just pull out my Droid and I'll show it to you on the go.

**** iProducts.

So you're just being a troll for the purpose of causing arguments? Classy stuff. Thanks for derailing an otherwise useful thread.

This is still a useful thread. Don't get your panties into a bunch. I'm sorry I hurt your iFeelings.

I don't think that more than half of the world's population is going to be browsing for photographers on their phone, or mobile device. Maybe a tablet, but even so, the Droid market is growing faster than the iOS Platform.

If you're going to sit down and look for a wedding photographer, are you going to pull out your Blackberry, or iPhone? Chances are, no. You're going to go online and look through someone's portfolio on a reasonably sized screen. I understand that everyone's ****ting their pants over a retina display on their iPhone, but it's really not ideal for viewing web content. (and neither is a droid, so I'm obviously not biased)

Don't forget, while Mac's are use a lot by designers and photographers for their functionality in that aspect, a frickin' TON of people still use desktop computers as their primary surfing device. Sure, there are some people who buy iPads and think "if it doesn't look good on the iPad, it's not worth looking at".

People are still going to use flash if there's still a market for it.

Personally, I could care less what Steve says, but I am not about to risk one of tens of millions of iPhone, iPod and iPad users not being able to access my site. You want a flash site? Fine! You willing to risk the potential customer going somewhere else because they can't view your site? Great! More customers for me!

Allan

Tyler, troll or not, can't wrap his head around this.

I regularly us my fancy pants iPhone retina display as a portable portfolio. It generates more interest and customers than a business card alone.

Friends eagerly show my work via Flickr, or Facebook, on their phones, to friends when they are out having lunch or whatever. Advertising a business via word of mouth has move beyond words. It now involves showing pictures, which generates much more interest and has more and immediate impact.

I don't have a website yet, but am just now contracting a pro to do it.
I told him I didn't want a flash site, and he rolled his eyes and said he doesn't use flash, there are other ways to do what it does without restricting access to potential customers using mobile devices.

You keep downplaying the iProduct market, and continue to tout the growing Droid user base. It doesn't ****ing matter. If you have a small business, you want to ****ing reach EVERYONE, no matter what technology YOU favor. YOU don't matter, potential customers matter.

I skipped ahead after the first page but has anyone mentioned the fact the flash websites are bad news for your search engine optimization?

Your flash page can be the neatest little thing anyone has every seen, but if you're not high on the list of google results, nobody is going to see it.

It's gotten better in the last couple years, but flash pages are still not your best bet for getting people to your site.

I understand people like the bells and whistles, but at the end of the day its about getting eyes on your page. I don't know why people sacrifice page views for silly things like page transitions and music and other things you can embed on your page very easily without flash these days.

I don't remember ever saying that I was going to make a flash website. I'm just stating facts. I'm not a fan of it either, and have no experience designing for it, but there is currently no substitute for it in certain applications. There are workarounds and things that look good, but flash does still serve a purpose for the time being. And some people will use it, and do just fine.

If more people coded sites and sniffed for mobile browsers, and designed mobile sites that look good on mobile devices, photographers would be in a better place. Low res images that still look good on a mobile device that's a quick acting portfolio for your photography. That's what I plan on doing.

Why is it so hard to understand that I don't even have a Droid, Blackberry, or iPhone, and I really don't give a **** what people use? I'm aware people use cell phones, and a lot of people do have the ability to view flash on their phone. It's also not impossible to SEO a flash site...

Like I said, I'm just stating facts.

I am stating facts as well, or at least a reasonable facsimile.

i like turtles

Of course Steve Jobs says Flash is outdated, aren't Jobs and Adobe in a constant battle over flash support on Apple products?

More importantly, who cares what Steve Jobs says...and he can take his Ipad and shove it up his...the rest of the story, after this intermission.

Thank you! I feel the same way. Screw jobs and not dealing with adobe to allow flash to run on I devices.

Most reactions

Back