Photography with a Disability

balizwaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi folks,

I'm a 21 year old guy living in Toronto. I was in a car accident not too long ago and now I'm confined to a wheel-chair.

I received a present from a few friend who encouraged me to pursue my love for photography. I've always loved it, I've always spent hours staring at photos... and now, I have the equipment now.

Unfortunately, I have no photography experience whatsoever. I don't understand all the terminology. I don't understand how to change around the settings to get the perfect picture... I feel really dumb. I've got a lot going on in my life right now, and I really want to learn photography. I feel it could be a nice outlet.

Anyway... there is another issue which was the main reason I started this thread, I just rambled on. I love Macro Photography! now that I have a really good macro lens I want to learn everything and all the relevant info. There IS a limitation. As I said I'm in a wheel-chair. I'm limited to taking pictures from the chair. I was wondering if there is a way for me to get an external lcd viewer or something, so that I can place the camera down anywhere and still be able to see what it's looking @ from my chair -- is that possible?

So, if you can please answer the above question and also give me some tips on getting started, some links perhaps? I am so lost and confused. I don't know where to start! I have a few links but when it starts talking about ISO and F/2 whatever, I get intimidated!

I hope you guys stuck around long enough to read all this incoherent message.

Thanks!!!!!! I hope to be a part of this community.

I am pretty sure quite a few DSLR's have the ability to be hooked up to a laptop PC, and fired remotely. What kind of camera do you have?

ISO is film/sensor speed. Daylight= Low ISO (100-200) Deep shade (200-400) Indoors, low light (400 on up)

The F/stop of the lens tells you how much light you are letting in. Oddly, a small F/stop (F/2.8) means you have a large aperture, or hole, and letting in a lot of light. A large F/stop (F/22) means a small aperture, or small hole, that let's in very little light.

Lower light situation result in longer shutter speeds, which can result in unwanted blur.

For example. Sunny day=Low ISO=Smaller aperture (higher F/stop number) fast shutter speed.
Indoors=Higher ISO=larger aperture (small F/stop#) faster shutter speed.

BUT

Indoors- Low ISO/Small aperture results in SLOW shutter speed and blur

makin' any sense?

theres a lot to learn, but hopefully people can pull you through the basics...

Last edited:
humm, well alot to cover and since im tired i doubt ill be much help, but firstly, i say you should first look into this

digital SLR camera settings automatic manual iso av mode tv shutter

and that should get you started with the settings, then for macro and wheelchair, i dont really have too much advice, maybe a nice tripod by giottos which are pretty (not flexible but umm) freemoving i would say, which would allow you to get the angle and such right.

And a quick overview.

Aperture (described by f /4, and such), is how open your lens are, with an aperture open such as f /4, the focused part will be sharp, the rest will be blurry. With a aperture closed, most the picture will be in focus.

Shutter speed is how fast the camera opens and closes its shutter, faster means less light but less blur when shooting sports. Slower means more blur, more light.

ISO is how much light capturing particles are being used on your sensor, try to keep ISO at 100 or so, the higher the more noise (sandy effect on pictures) will occur, but you will be able to shoot at higher shutter speeds.

In low light scenarios a good setup might be ISO 100, F /4 , 1/200 (of a second)(shutter speed)
Lots of light and detail wanted, ISO 100, f / 22, 1/30

I hope that clears some things up, read Understanding Exposure too, great book, just finished it and opens up your eyes to photography.

edit: lol @ your edit bitter jeweler

Last edited:
First, welcome to the forum!

If you've got the drive and desire, a disability will lead you to be MORE creative as you adapt and overcome.

In your case, I'd recommend a tripod and a camera that has a "Live View" feature and maybe a mirror that you can attach a long handle to. One of those "magnifying" mirrors might be an option as well.

As far as the terminology making you feel stupid, that's something that you share with MOST beginners and is overcome easily with time and experience. Just expect that it'll be a limitation for a while but that it will come and eventually, it will all fall into place.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your efforts when you post them up!

Oh, as far as a tripod, there is that Gorillapod thing, that is flexiblt and could be attached to nearly anything. That could be a great help.

I am pretty sure quite a few DSLR's have the ability to be hooked up to a laptop PC, and fired remotely.

I don't think they have "live view" while connected though. I could be wrong - my camera isn't exactly new...

Some cameras have tilting/rotating LCDs...that would be a huge benefit here.

I was confined in a wheelchair for over a year. Right now, both of my knees are now fixed straight.....no bending.....so it's possible to pursue your passion. I published a 120-page book through Blurb a few years ago and every photo was taken either in my car, in my wheelchair of using my walker (when I could walk).....the title "Along the Road.

All that to say, yes its possible!

I don't think they have "live view" while connected though. I could be wrong - my camera isn't exactly new...

I believe the laptop becomes the "live view".

I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about that somewhere, but am to busy right now to find it again.

Heck, I am almost positive my Canon P&S allowed this.
Also my friend has a Canon G6 (?) he lifts with a kite and has a hand held contoler and LCD screen to take pics remotely.

I was confined in a wheelchair for over a year. Right now, both of my knees are now fixed straight.....no bending.....so it's possible to pursue your passion. I published a 120-page book through Blurb a few years ago and every photo was taken either in my car, in my wheelchair of using my walker (when I could walk).....the title "Along the Road.

All that to say, yes its possible!
And I've gotta say that HikinMike has posted some BEAUTIFUL work here on TPF. If you need an example of not letting a "disability" limit your photography take a look at the images that he's posted here.

I believe the laptop becomes the "live view".

I could be wrong, but I remember reading something about that somewhere, but am to busy right now to find it again.

Heck, I am almost positive my Canon P&S allowed this.
Also my friend has a Canon G6 (?) he lifts with a kite and has a hand held contoler and LCD screen to take pics remotely.
I know that with my 350D (which is pretty old now...), it doesn't work like that. There is no live view - even when connected to a computer.

Newer bodies...who knows...?

It very well could be possible.

"Nikon camera control 2 software will allow you to change all camera setting at take the pictures via your lap top."

and

"you can use any Canon DSLR for remote shooting, the basic software is supplied with the camera, or you can splash for a DSLR Remote Pro, mentioned by JimC. Canons with Live View give you an option of Live View preview on the computer screen. Not very fast, but usable, especially with static objects, great for macro and product shots. You can control and change almost all shooting settings from your keyboard, including focus, apart from zooming (manual only option), also exposure bracketing, time laps etc. Many Canon P&S also give you remote shooting, works very well
Olympus E-series DSLRs also have a remote shooting option with a 3rd party prog:
http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp"

Neener neener neener.
:greenpbl:

Sorry guys, I thought I listed my equipment.

Camera:
Canon XSI Rebel

Lens:
Canon EF-S 17-85mm
&
Canon EF-S 100mm Macro

I do have a tripod! It's a "zoom dslr" gorillapod. So that I can put it anywhere.

if I hook up my camera to a laptop or something, can I change ALL the settings from the computer?

any specific tips for those cameras & lenses? it's like a 1500 $ + setup, I don't want to make it go to waste.

if I hook up my camera to a laptop or something, can I change ALL the settings from the computer?

Yes, you should be able to - I know I can on my 350D, things could have only gotten better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back