Photography with a Disability

any specific tips for those cameras & lenses? it's like a 1500 $ + setup, I don't want to make it go to waste.

Well, then just don't post any pictures up here, or the forum thugs will come and belittle them so they can get a few more posts to add to their counter, and make you wonder why you're even trying to get the hang of it. :lmao:

I have the XSi (just got it) and it has both Live View (don't know how to turn it on) and the ability to be used through the computer. When it is hooked to the computer, it then controls everything on the camera except zoom and the M/Av/Tv/P dial on the top. The camera also records directly to your computer.

Edit: Jeep (mind if i call you jeep?) beat me to it...:D

any specific tips for those cameras & lenses? it's like a 1500 $ + setup, I don't want to make it go to waste.

I've never used the XSi, but my first DSLR was the original Rebel (300D). I used the kit lens and bought a second-hand 100-300mm f/4.5-f/5.6 lens and used it for years. Sold a bunch of prints with it too. ;)

Well, then just don't post any pictures up here, or the forum thugs will come and belittle them so they can get a few more posts to add to their counter, and make you wonder why you're even trying to get the hang of it. :lmao:

Post 'em. How else am I going to get to 5000 posts?

...and the M/Av/Tv/P dial on the top.

...Pretty sure you can change that too. I think I can on my 350D...I'll have to check it again to be sure though...

This is totally out of line. Just because you feel like someone crapped on your thread is no reason to come here and crap on someone else's. Not only is it out of line, but it comes across as being immature and petulant.

This is totally out of line. Just because you feel like someone crapped on your thread is no reason to come here and crap on someone else's. Not only is it out of line, but it comes across as being immature and petulant.

:lmao::lol::hug::

...and the M/Av/Tv/P dial on the top.

...Pretty sure you can change that too. I think I can on my 350D...I'll have to check it again to be sure though...

I didn't try very hard so I just assumed i couldn't... I'll have to look and make sure...

EDIT: I looked and hooked up the camera and tried and i could not change the shooting mode (M/Av/Tv/P) from the computer. You can on the 1D MarkIII...

Last edited:
I believe canon has software for that. Actually I know they do, maybe someone knows what it is. The name was posted before. But it allows live view to your computer but you can't zoom or change modes.

I believe canon has software for that. Actually I know they do, maybe someone knows what it is. The name was posted before. But it allows live view to your computer but you can't zoom or change modes.

EOS Utility.

My wife's in a chair, and she uses my Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX Macro much more than I do...if I can't find it, I know it's probably sitting on her D40. She shoots mostly hand-held from a power chair. Not sure if you're para or mid-level quad or whatever, but I think you might be able to shoot a lot of stuff with the camera either hand-held, or mounted on something like the Bogen Magic Arm, a way-cool,articulated arm deal that can be moved into a lot of positions.

Here is the magic arm without camera bracket.
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 143N Magic Arm without | 143N | B&H

A few years ago, I saw a quad guy who had a custom made, bent pipe type of camera support that he had mounted on the side frame of his chair. The pipe came up, ovr the arm rest, and positioned the camera between his lap and his neck; he had a Hassy 500 series reflex mounted on a quick-release plate, with a straight-up "chimney" style viewfinder mounted on the body. He had the entire thing made by a friend, and they used a pretty simple female-mount footrest receptacle as the holder for the bent pipe. Pretty simple for most wheelchair mechanics to understand. Maybe a viewfinder attachment that slips over your camera's eyepiece and directs the image upward is available for your camera--I am not sure. I know there is more than one for Nikon cameras but I am not familiar with what Canon has in that accessory category.

i just want to say find a handy guy and see if he can make a mount for your camera to the wheel chair,you maybe can buy a tripod head and go from there.and there are a lot of heads to pick from

Not to get off track, but HikinMike is an inspiration to even able-bodied folks, shows what you can do if you persist.

There is already one advantage (if you look at it that way) to your sitration of being in a wheelchair. Many people miss shots because they are too dang lazy to squat down to get a well composed shot from the correct angle.

And being in a wheelchair, you are already down there...lol.

Best of luck!!!

There is already one advantage (if you look at it that way) to your sitration of being in a wheelchair. Many people miss shots because they are too dang lazy to squat down to get a well composed shot from the correct angle.

That's a fact!

You might want to take a look at his site. I bookmarked it last year: Welcome to naturecallsphotography.net

Good to see you still have the drive to pursue photography. I am also in a wheelchair. I am a T-5,6,7 Paraplegic (paralyzed from the upper chest down).

Can i ask what kind of injury you have and how mobile you are in your wheelchair?

I ask because i feel this will have a lot to do with what you'll be able to do when shooting photos. Since i have a high back injury i can still move my arms and hands but I have absolutely NO abdominal mussels (no balance). So, some things will be a pain to shoot or may not even be worth the hassle. Just enjoy shooting what are are able to shoot and have fun doing it. There are so many different aspects to photography. take you time and find what aspect about photography you really enjoy, research the methods then experiment to you best ability.

Check out my Flickr link in my sig below. All my photos were takin by me in my chair :)

Most reactions

Back