Photojournalist Job Opportunity ... Is it for me? Do I go for it?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There was a classified ad in the local newspaper that they are looking to hire a full-time photojournalist (or "Multimedia Journalist", as they called it; the details pretty clearly describes a photojournalist position).

This is something I have thought about doing for quite a while now, so the ad really caught my eye and I have been giving serious consideration to applying. However, I have reservations and I was hoping someone in the field could tell me if my concerns are justified. I know the answers will vary by publication, but here it goes...

1. Control over photos / processing / etc.
I'm very ... picky about what I consider to be my artistic license. For example, in my own (personal) reportage photos, I'm not resistant to use the clone tool to remove elements that would otherwise be aesthetically detrimental, but I would never use it in a way that would alter the relevant facts. That being said, I do understand the clone tool is pretty much verboten for a photojournalist working for a real news publication. Is that an accurate assessment?

A related question I have is: what would be expected of me in terms of what I am to hand in to the editor? Basic processing? Suggested processing based on interpretation of events? Just shoot and hand in the card of RAW files?

2. Writing Requirements
As a website developer, part of my job is coming up with blurbs and write-ups, so I am able to write coherently and factually. However, it's not necessarily how I want to spend the bulk of my time. Would I be expected to write entire articles or perform basic fact gathering for the purposes of captions and notes? Is photography going to take a back seat to writing?

3. Copyright
I assume copyright would belong entirely to the publication, yes?

Thanks for your time.

It looks like most of these questions you should ask the employers, as it will differ from job to job. I know that isn't helpful, but I'm not sure how we would accurately answer these for you as they're all very specific to the company you would work for.

What have you got to lose? If you don't like their answers to your questions, you can always decline if it's offered.

Tammy has the answer for you. It could vary wildly depending on the publication.
I know when I work for the paper here they don't own my copyright, I do. I do not do any EDITING of the image, however I do process my own images. I do not change anything within the image pixels. They do not want a raw file-they don't pay photo editors, just me. It would be rather expensive for the publication.
If it's a photojournalist job-you are expected to write the articles. If it were a staff photographer job you would take the photo, take down the information in the picture and hand it in to the staff writers.

As far as who owns copyright, that will depend on the copyright laws of whatever country you are in.

Expect a lot of other applicants, many who will have formal training in photojournalism, and some of them will have had prior experience.

This is something I have thought about doing for quite a while now.
Apparently you haven't thought all that much about it. Otherwise you would already have a good idea of the answers to your rather basic questions.

As pointed out, the entity that has placed the ad is your best source for answers to your questions. With luck you'll get an interview and a chance to ask.

'Multimedia' is
  • writing features, interviews, reviews
  • taking and editing still images
  • making and editing video
  • making and editing audio, like podcasts

to question 1 you are not allowed to remove anything from shots used in newspapers you can only do basic adjustments

A lot depends on the size and scope of the local newspaper. As a photojournalist however, you would be writing as well as doing photography. Copyright would belong to the publication because taking photos is part of your job description. As for editing, in a small publication, you may have full control over your photos, since the rest of their staff is occupied in other work. In a large publication you may just hand in your photos for someone else to edit. In either a small or large publication, as a photojournalist the challenge is to blend/merge your work with the rest of the publication and gain a sense of what kind of articles are or are not encouraged by the publication.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back