Photos from a swim meet

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So these photos are my 4 year old swimming in her first divisional swim meet at Ga Tech. The light was horrible as it was an indoor pool. There were windows across the pool from the stands, so the swimmers are being lit from behind. I was shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II, 100-400 mm lens. I played with ISO and shutter speed a bit. I've found I get the best action shots at swim meets shooting at a shutter speed of 500. I ended up jacking up the ISO for this event. I'm not sure if there are other things I should try for next time we're in a similar environment.

Overall, I'm happy with these and they truly make my 4 year old look awesome, but I'm always looking to improve.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.jpg
    IMG_4645.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4512-1.jpg
    IMG_4512-1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 137
are the above samples all cropped?

I would be shooting these wide open, looks like you were using f/8.0. You basically reduced the amount of light available, and then amped up the boost with the ISO. In the least, you could have dropped from 6400 ISO to ~3200 ISO by keeping your lens at the widest setting. If it were me, I'd be doing everything possible to keep that sensor at a low ISO number.

This would be two-bang, because it would also encourage just a little but more BG separation too.

I was shooting in shutter priority so the camera was picking the apeture. These are cropped, yes.

I've been shooting in shutter priority for these events where the light tends to change (it was rainy, then sunny, then stormy outside). But maybe I should try it on manual and be willing to adjust more frequently. That would allow me to keep the apeture open more and lower the ISO.

this is when i like auto-iso.

I hadn't even thought about auto-iso. That's a good idea. I'll try that for sure!

Thanks!

In order to decrease the DOF as much as possible, you could shoot in manual and let the auto-iso float.
darken the background and defocus a bit.
and warm up the image some.

upload_2017-7-5_18-29-43.png

Most reactions

Back