Photos from Germany for C&C.

Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few photos from Frankfurt Germany. It was very overcast and gray. It looked like it was about to snow all afternoon. I would greatly appreciate some C&C.
1. A statue I saw (no idea what it is, just liked it)
StatueinFrankfurtinGermany.jpg

2. A steeple.
BuildinginFrankfurtGermany.jpg

3. A tree lined path on the River running through Frankfurt (hence "Frankfurt Am Main")
WalkingbytheMaininFrankfurt.jpg

4. Same again.
SnowySkytrhoughthebranches-FrankfurtAmMain.jpg

5. A heart in a park in Frankfurt.
HeartinSnow-FrankfurtGermany.jpg

I am seeing them as a bit oof. ...last one is pretty dark and I am not sure what to attend to. 4 has some interest factor...maybe without the cars on the left...or cropping out the bottom with the buildings and the cars??

I am seeing them as a bit oof. ...last one is pretty dark and I am not sure what to attend to. 4 has some interest factor...maybe without the cars on the left...or cropping out the bottom with the buildings and the cars??
Thanks for the C&C.
It may be my eyes, but they seem in focus to me. What do you feel is oof with them?
I'll try the crop you mentioned on #4, it makes sense.
The last is abit dark, but without fairly heavy editing, I thought it portrayed the heart shape perfectly. That was the focus anyway.

Could be my office monitor.. they don't appear sharp. In the last one, the heart just doesn't come across to me. My eye is drawn to the tree in the center and the light in the window.

I like picture 3. I think it has some good potential, too bad it wasnt sunny, might have looked cool with some shadows from those treess

They do seem to have a soft focus to them.

Can't wait to get to Germany and Europe to do some shots, so much tradition. Booked my tickets for 2 weeks over there the other day :)

Could be my office monitor.. they don't appear sharp. In the last one, the heart just doesn't come across to me. My eye is drawn to the tree in the center and the light in the window.
I CAN"T BELIEVE I MISSED THAT LIGHT!!! WOW!!!
That definitely has to go. The tree just feels like a stake in the heart to me.

Thanks Willis, I agree, some sun and shadows would have made all these photos better.

Geaux you may be right, I'm just not seeing it though. Any specific photo you see it in more?
When I got there, I was surprised to see all the dirt and the filth in the streets. The Germany I know would never have allowed that. Then again, it may have just been from stuff that was buried in the snow, and the snow was just starting to melt.
Have a great time, plenty of history is absolutely correct.

If you want to know the one that stands out the most to me, #2 is definitely soft/oof.

If you want to know the one that stands out the most to me, #2 is definitely soft/oof.
Not sure if this makes any difference, but #2 was severely cropped from a larger photo. This was the original. Hasn't been modified in any way. You can also see the crane behind the steeple. The focus here was sharper on the left building.
SquareinFrankfurt.jpg

Now that I know the entire photo, I wonder EVEN MORE what made you crop out JUST the steeple and set that one up for critique??? As it is NOTHING, really, while the half-timbered houses are so much more!?!?!

Soft focus, your AV is at f5. I would've went with an f11 or more AV, upped the ISO to 800 and used the camera on a tripod and used 1/15th or so on the shutter speed. I think if you could've slowed down that shutter by using a tripod these would've pin sharp. The cars in 3 and 4 wouldve been blurred but you could've gone slower and givin it possibly a new perspective, also cropping out the cars and going portrait frame would focus on the path alone. Just my thoughts.:thumbup:

Now that I know the entire photo, I wonder EVEN MORE what made you crop out JUST the steeple and set that one up for critique??? As it is NOTHING, really, while the half-timbered houses are so much more!?!?!
To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure how to take the photo and "compose" it to frame in the timber frame houses nicely. Any suggestions? (Other than going back to re-take the shot. It's going to be a loooong time (if ever) before i get back there).

Soft focus, your AV is at f5. I would've went with an f11 or more AV, upped the ISO to 800 and used the camera on a tripod and used 1/15th or so on the shutter speed. I think if you could've slowed down that shutter by using a tripod these would've pin sharp. The cars in 3 and 4 wouldve been blurred but you could've gone slower and givin it possibly a new perspective, also cropping out the cars and going portrait frame would focus on the path alone. Just my thoughts.:thumbup:
Hey VTF, all good ideas, thanks. I'll try them next time. Unfortunately, I did not have my tripod with me, so everything here was handheld.

Hi. I'm too noob to critique your photos but I like them. Maybe you could crop #1 so that the statue is not right in the center; since the woman is looking right, maybe you could give the pic some more space on that side.

What was your focal lenght in #2? 18mm? what lens did you use here?

BTW, I agree that you should not have cropped this photo; it looks great uncropped.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back