Photos of my loved Emerald Isle

Janine87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im new to this forum so I thought Im gonna post some of my pictures I have taken of Ireland. Hope you like them

1)
Picture007-1.jpg

2)
Picture011-1.jpg

3)
Picture056.jpg

4)
Picture055.jpg

Picture014-2.jpg

5)
6)
Picture007-2.jpg

7)
Picture001.jpg

Last edited:
some advice please?:blushing:

What a nice cross-section of photos...from coastal to the hills to urban park scenes. The dark skies in that first one are very dramatic and contrast nicely with the foaming waters. (I think the horizon is a wee bit tilted though...are you able to correct that in post-processing?)

I really like the 5th shot too...the green hills are more how I imagine Ireland to be.

The last one is a lovely shot of the coast. I can practically hear the water lapping at the shore. Composition-wise, the general rule of thumb is to not put the horizon right in the middle of the shot. That's not engraved in stone, mind you, but if you try different crops, moving where the sky/water junction is in the shot, you might find that moving it gives the shot more punch.

(By the way, if you post more than about 4 shots, it helps if you number them, so people can more easily specify which shot they're addressing :D )

Great to see you posting already! Give us more!

Thank you very much for your compliment first.

I am not using any photo programms because they are too expensive. Thats why my photos are more natural and have a few mistakes.

Oh I think I get what you mean. Like taking pictures of the sea it would be better to have the horizont at the back right?

(from your welcome thread - didn't realise you had already posted)

I like the last three shots. I echo what Antarctican has said already. Nice stuff though, do you use any programs like Photoshop?(edit: i just seen your last post) i think you could give these a little more punch with colour/contrast etc. (99% of my shots get some sort of treatment).

I'm sure there's free programs out there that can do basic adjustments if you were interested in trying some out.

(from your welcome thread - didn't realise you had already posted)

I like the last three shots. I echo what Antarctican has said already. Nice stuff though, do you use any programs like Photoshop?(edit: i just seen your last post) i think you could give these a little more punch with colour/contrast etc. (99% of my shots get some sort of treatment).

I'm sure there's free programs out there that can do basic adjustments if you were interested in trying some out.

No Im not using any photo programs. I cant find any good pages which are trustable.

Yeah i know there's some online ones where you can upload your image and edit online but i wouldn't trust them either - i think Adobe have one though.

I was thinking about Freeware/Shareware programs. I'll have a look for some that i know are trustworthy and genuine (if there is any :lol:)

EDIT: http://www.gimp.org/windows/ -- that's one a lot of people on here use, i never knew it was for Windows as well as Linux. It's free and apparently quite powerful.

online isnt any good... just downloads are. adobe photoshop is great but you are only able to use it for 30 days then you have to buy it.

edit: thanks a mill for the link!

Yeah, i think the GIMP one i linked to above is your best option.

right okay... i have picture it on my pc i might try that first and let you know tomorrow.

Ahh, the Emerald Isle! One of the very few white areas on my personal visit map! Always wanted to go there, but never managed to get beyond England ;)

Thanks for sharing these impressions!

Maybe on some you should watch your horizon (e.g. 1 and 3, which otherwise are nice).

with #6 i am not sure if the vertical orientation and overall composition really serves the scene well. Maybe a horizontal composition, or giving more of the mountain would be a bit more exciting. This almost half-half division in the image does really reduce the tension in this case.

most of the images would enjoy a _slight_ push in contrast.

What is the structure on top of the hill on image #5? It is not artificial to make it a mountain? ;)

thank you for all your advice. I see I need to learn a bit more. :(
Here are 2 more... wat u think?

DSCN1624.jpg

DSCN1625.jpg

overall they are nice shots, on the second shot however it might have been nicer to take a few steps to the right so you could avoid the tree on the left of the shot and would have had a better view over the water

The first is well over-exposed, with a completely burnt out sky - you just need to keep an eye on your exposure settings (when reviewing shots, you might find it useful to have your camera tell you what's over exposed with flashing highlights).

The second needs to be straightened - the horizon isn't quite horizontal, and I would try playing around with the subject matter, maybe get something interesting in the foreground. Very nice location from the looks of it, but I would try shooting at dawn/dusk for some more interesting light.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Back