Photos of Portraits vs flowers

JamesD said:
The aluminum-foil-on-foamcore-board reflector is my favorite thing I've ever built. However, I've found that I like it better when I crinkle the foil into a ball (not too tightly), then carefully spread it back out (careful, because it tears easily) and tape it down. I like that quality of light better.

I SEE A lot of FOIL Tricks... :) WHERE do I place the Foil exactly?? Can I place it ON each side of the subject? Just one Side? Behind? Can you tell I have never done this ;)

Thanks

The foil is a reflector (mirror) of the source light. You can place them any where you want them to get the desired effect. It just light needs to hit it and reflect back to where you want it too.

The window light can be used as the main light say from the left. Use a reflector from the right to lessen the shadows on the right side of the face.

You can still use your camera flsh. Maybe try some white fabric or paper over the flash as a diffuser. Or reflect it up to the ceiling. Light will bounce off of it.

If you can't get your kids to sit for that long. Practice with something else in their place. Nice thing about digital. You not wasting any film.

Holly said:
I SEE A lot of FOIL Tricks... :) WHERE do I place the Foil exactly?? Can I place it ON each side of the subject? Just one Side? Behind? Can you tell I have never done this ;)

Thanks

Get a dinner tray, cover it in foil, walk around the house lighting things with it. Learn the best way to light by experimenting... when you think "ooh, that looks good" you've got it right.

Rob

Most reactions

Back