Photoshoot help (Resolved)

notmyjob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So recently, my job has put me in charge of taking pictures for things.
Which is fine, and I enjoy it. I did some photography when I was a kid.

But my question is this. We are doing a photoshoot for different people.
My camera doesnt stay active when connected to my computer, so I can't take a picture, then edit pictures on the fly (or can I?) (Cannon EOS Rebel T3i).
What do you guys use/how do you guys deal with different people in a photoshoot?
A good example would be like a student photoshoot.

I need to take a picture, then, email the picture of that person, to that persons email.
How do I sort them?
How do I put joe schmoes picture, to his name?

If you shoot tethered, your camera should stay active. And if you are using LR, you will be able to edit on the fly and then export the photos.

My question would be why are you having to use personal equipment for work? Seems like you should be compensated for the use/wear and tear on your equipment or have the company buy their own gear.

My camera = my work camera
My computer = my work computer.

It's all work equipment.
I also have no idea how to shoot tethered, or what LR is. But I will certainly google those options.

I am just guessing, but tethered means your camera connected to your computer by some type of cord, most likely a usb.

LR is an abbreviation for Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom software.

Yes, tethered is shooting the camera attached to the computer via a USB cord. (I have a 20' extension cable and use the one that came with the camera).

This is an option using the software that came with the camera or to be used with Lightroom (LR).

I first started doing this with my T3i and continue to use my current 7D as well.

I am just guessing, but tethered means your camera connected to your computer by some type of cord, most likely a usb.

LR is an abbreviation for Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom software.
In my original post, I stated it stopped working when I plugged it in. (working as in, wont take pictures. but working as intended).
After his post about tethering, I did some googling and found cannon does offer tethering with their special software (I think). so I downloaded that, and giving it a try.

Figured it out. Thanks Ron. Your statement about tethering was enough to get me on the right track in google.
Found the Canon software I need to allow for tethering to work, and even remote picture taking, which is an added bonus.

For anyone out there, that happens to come across this, with the same question I had.

If you are using Canon, just use the Canon utility software. (mine was EOS Utility)

There is a wealth of software out there for working tethered. I use "ControlMyNikon" with a laptop and that works very well. There are some cheaper ones and some that are by the camera manufacturer which are usually very expensive compared to others.

For taking Tethered shots I use an app called DSLR Controller. I shot with a Canon T2i and the app works perfect letting you adjust all the camera settings from your android tablet or phone.

As far as I know there is not an App that will do this for Apple devices it has to be Android. I purchased an Android Nexus 7 specifically for this use. Although I don't use this feature it does have the ability to save the photos directly to your Android device to email out to your clients like you are looking for.

DSLR Controller Home

My camera doesnt stay active when connected to my computer, so I can't take a picture, then edit pictures on the fly (or can I?) (Cannon EOS Rebel T3i).

There's a menu option for how long the camera will stay active before going to sleep. One of the choices is "never". Just set the appropriate sleep time (if you set it to "never", then don't forget you did that as you'll probably want to switch it back after you're done with the shoot.)

I need to take a picture, then, email the picture of that person, to that persons email.
How do I sort them?
How do I put joe schmoes picture, to his name?

If you're tethering to something like Lightroom, then you should be able to add tags & comments to the image as soon as you capture the image. You can take a series of images, add the notes to one, then "sync" those comments across all the images of the shoot for that particular person.

Most reactions

Back