Photoshop Options

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I am looking to buy photoshop and I am not sure which one to start off with.
What is the best photoshop for beginners? I already have lightroom, but I want to be able to buy the student edition of photoshop before I graduate. I appreciate your feedback!

Ps: I'm not sure if they can all do this but I have to be able to add an artificial sky to photos.
(Lightroom can't do this can it?)

Lightroom can't do that.

You also can't buy the student edition of Photoshop any longer; it's only available now as a subscription product. You can buy the student edition of Elements however that may not be a smart buy. It can often be found retail for less. Adobe really wants to push you toward the subscription version of Photoshop and so they changed the student deal on Elements to make it less attractive.

Elements can fake the sky, but it is a crippled version of Photoshop. What Elements lacks however is to a large extent made up by having Lightroom.

Joe

My daughter downloaded some old version of PS from Adobe, I think CS2, might try and do a search for that on the Adobe site. I'm still using CS4, but will probably end up going to the subscription system this year.

As stated above, Adobe is subscription based so will not be able to get a legal copy of Photoshop with out doing the Creative Cloud(CC) option. There are many plans to choose from Adobe Creative Cloud the Student & Teachers plans are: Photography Plan for $9.99/month or Complete plan for 19.99/month.

The Photography plan contains LightRoom and Photoshop CC.

Older and legal, on disc, versions of Photoshop can be bought on eBay.
Adobe does not make a Student/Teacher Edition of Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements 13 is a de-featured, limited capability consumer grade version of the professional grade Photoshop and Elements is available without a subscription for $80.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 13

An Adobe Student subscription gets the student all of Adobe's Creative Cloud software, not just the Photography package that includes Photoshop and Lightroom.
Everyone - students. teachers too - pay $9.99 a month for the Photoshop package with Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Photoshop Elements 13 is a de-featured, limited capability consumer grade version of the professional grade Photoshop and Elements is available without a subscription for $80.

An Adobe Student subscription gets the student all of Adobe's Creative Cloud software, not just the Photography package that includes Photoshop and Lightroom.
Everyone - students. teachers too - pay $9.99 a month for the Photoshop package with Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightroom 5.

Technically yes and not exactly. When Photoshop went subscription the student version of Elements became Elements/Premiere. So if you go to the campus bookstore and ask to buy Elements you can't get just Elements . They will however have a student version of Elements and Premiere bundled together and you'll pay more for that than for a retail version of Elements alone. Adobe is playing "bundle" along with everybody else.

Joe

A monthly subscription is not an option for me, as I will not be using it all the time. I just need the next best thing.

That would be Elements then.
Elements has a consumer grade version of Camera Raw, and Camera Raw is what Lightroom's Develop module uses to edit photos.

A monthly subscription is not an option for me, as I will not be using it all the time. I just need the next best thing.

Adobe isn't the only company that sells photo editing software. There are many good alternatives.

Photo-editing software Corel PaintShop Pro X7
PhotoPlus X7 Powerful photo editing software
PhotoLine Image Processing

including free alternatives:

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Joe

Most reactions

Back