Photoshop or Lightroom

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for an inexpensive photo editing program. I can't seem to find cs3 anywhere now that cs4 has become available. I want something simple that will give me great end results. Kinda like these pictures.

TwilightbyWillSterling.jpg

If anyone knows where I can get something great for around $200 or less. I'll be happy happy. Can lightroom give me these same results? Or Picassa? I have GIMP but I totally don't know how to use it.

HELP!!!

Are you a student? Adobe offers CS4 at an academic discount for most schools at 169.99.

I'm not a student but I already checked and my school doesn't offer it. I'm up the creek without a paddle I guess.

I'm not a student but I already checked and my school doesn't offer it. I'm up the creek without a paddle I guess.

when it comes to student software you don't approach the school you approach a supplier. For example in the UK Citnexus supplies student software. You then fill in an online form (when you recieve the software), send the relevant proof of being a student, and within a few hours have the CD-Key and are good to go.

Lightroom can't do that, Lightroom is for organizing and color correction, that's about it.

You need a program that can work in layers, Photoshop can, I think GIMP can too. Gimp's free.

Did you just seriously post a torrent of CS4?? CAn we get a mod in here to ban this post and user????

Adobe is a company that outsources all its work to foreign countries for slave labor and wants to charge 700$ for an upgrade to an existing program. My conscience is clear.

Lightroom can't do that, Lightroom is for organizing and color correction, that's about it.
Actually, Lightoom 2 can do many things in terms of image editing. For example, the adjustment brush allows you to do local adjustments (basically layer masking) and it's very easy to do. It still doesn't take the place of Photoshop as an image editor...but many photographers are finding that they need to use Photoshop less than they did, which can greatly speed up the workflow.

I suggest looking at Photoshop Elements. I think it's about $100 and it's basically photoshop 'lite'. It will do most everything you need to do, in terms of editing photos.

I have GIMP but I totally don't know how to use it.
Just getting new software won't solve the problem of you not knowing how to use it. No matter what software you have, you still need to put in the effort and learn how to use it.

I suggest looking at Photoshop Elements. I think it's about $100 and it's basically photoshop 'lite'. It will do most everything you need to do, in terms of editing photos.
I agree with Big Mike...Photoshop Elements 7 is a very capable photo editor that can do quite a bit and it has automated functions so you don't have to spend a lot of time doing manual edits.

Those pictures just look desaturated and have the color hue adjusted more towards blue/violet...you can make your pictures look like that by adjusting the Hue and Saturation sliders of any simple photo editor...I bet even IrfanView could do that.

Yeah I know but I want something a little more simple then GIMP. I will definitely look at Lite though Thanks a bunch. Can lite give me these results though?

Oh and please someone tell me what a torrent is?

Oh he he lol well glad I hadn't downloaded it then.

I've used Gimp but mainly use Picasa and Photoshop Elements 6 for all my editing. I agree with another poster on taking the time to learn the in's and out's of any program before investing more money into a another.

I've had Elements 6 for over a year and have just now finally figured out some of the BASIC editing tools, so i know that i haven't even touched anywhere close to it's capabilities.

I picked up that version, last year, for about $70 at Best Buy. It also came with a movie maker software.

Picasa offers some very basic editing tools, but I tend to actually use that program more than I use PS and it's free. :)

i agree with some previous statements, learn GIMP. i used GIMP for a while until i saved up enough to buy photoshop cs4. whenever there is something i want to do in photoshop and don't know how to do it i can usually find a tutorial on youtube or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back