photoshop RAW importing questions

joyride

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cognizantcog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few random things I have noticed that puzzled me. when I load my RAW files to photoshop, the info at the bottom tells me that I shot a 2000x3000 image, but at 8 bit. I know I can switch it to 16 bit, but if it is shot in only 8 bit, whats the point of switching? Also, when I used photoshop 7 or 8, photos imported in at 300 dpi, but on cs3, they are only 240? Not that I can really do anything about it, but why the difference between programs? Just as an FYI, I am shooting a D50, and use (rarely) photoshop 7 and CS, but mostly CS3.

It's not telling you what you shot it as, it's telling you what it's going to import it as. Click on that bit of text and you can change those defaults - including the PPI resolution.

Indeed raw is raw you're loading the data off the camera as is with no change. The options are part of the processing. Your camera will always reduce this to 8bit for JPEGs. Some people don't need the extra bitdepth to edit the file in photoshop, but it never hurts if you intend to do more work outside of the CameraRAW dialogue box.

Don't worry about the Pixels Per Inch (PPI not DPI)...sometimes the default is 300, other times is 72. That is just a number that determines the size of the image on your monitor...as long as it's still 2000x3000 pixels, all is well.

You mean determines the size of the image on your printer? Unless of course you're talking about in a page layout application?

Also if you're going to be printing a bunch of images from a session or something, without cropping and you know what PPI fits the page sizes you're going to be printing them to it's kind of a time-saver to have the CameraRAW set the PPI on import.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back