Photoshop Tips and Tricks (Con't)

Another way to make a selection is by editing through a channel. The neat thing about channels is they only affect the colors within that channel and those selections can be manipulated using layer mask adjustments. Prior to opening the channel, I went back to my select menu and loaded the mask again so the channel would only affect the selection. In this setup, I used a "Green" channel selection. When I do this, the image turns gray. Not to worry as in the next image I apply an HSB adjustment.

select with channels 2.jpg

Green channel HSB adjustment layer

select with channels 2.jpg

Again, as I did previously, I applied another HSB adjustment layer and moved the mask up so I could add some additional yellow. I even tossed in a bit of red.

select with channels 3.jpg

Continuing, I added a masked selection of the sky to do an HSB adjustment. I just did a rectangular selection starting at the waterline, then masked out the leaf and stems at top right.

select -mask sky.jpg

One of Ps's greatest strengths is the vast number of ways to do things. Unfortunately for me unless I use something on a more or less regular basis, I forget about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Most reactions

Back