Photoshop vs Aperature

Koalabear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All!

I am getting back into my black and white photography, as I used to shoot film and use a dark room about ten years ago. I just purchased a Nikon D5100. Now the question is, do I go PC or Mac.

Aperature is a fairly new program, but is giving photoshop some decent competition.

I am looking at opening a business with my niche being on pet photography.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Last edited:
I would go MAC but thats all I own and for what its worth I work in IT and support Microsoft products all day long in my job. As for software I use photoshop , but I hear that aperture works well, I use photoshop because its an industry standard not that I work professionally. I just like to stay within an accepted convention technologically when it comes to file formats and PSD files are pretty universal. I am not sure if aperture files can be opened by software other than Aperture. I do know if you are working in video Final Cut is the final word in video editing. Sorry for the pun.

Do you have a MAC now? Photoshop can be used on MAC's and is generally accepted as the industry standard for photo editing. I don't think Aperture is coming close...yet.

P.S. in order to keep your post on topic, may I suggest you delete everything after "Could you all share the pros and cons"? Trust me, you threw a big softball out there ripe for hitting.

No I do not have any computer right now.

Photoshop = Lamborghini

Aperture = Ford

Aperture vs Photoshop is apples and oranges. Not the same league.

Aperture vs Lightroom is apples and apples.

Do you need a Lamborghini or will a Ford do for your needs?

Which Photoshop? There are 4 versions. Elements 10 - CS 6 - CS 6 Extended - Lightroom 4

Apple's Aperture and Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom are equivalent in the sense both are PIEware Raw converters. (Parametric Image Editing)
Image database managment is their primary function, not image editing.

Both Aperture and Lightroom are designed to compliment a raster graphics image editing application.
Lightroom was designed specifically for photographers and is tightly intergrated with Photoshop CS 6

Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, and Adobe Photoshop CS 6 share the PIEware image editing portion of Lightroom -Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). However, since Elements is consumer grade software, it's version of ACR is de-featured compared to CS 6.

Many photographers use PIEware, a raster graphics editing application, and a vector graphics application, and other more specialized image editing applications for tasks like noise reduction, conversion to B&W, HDR, portraiture, etc.

Last edited:
I will be working mostly in black and white, and shooting in RAW.

Koalabear's information incorrect. The Aperture is now in version 4 released a couple of months ago.

Koalabear's information incorrect. The Aperture is now in version 4 released a couple of months ago.

Aperature has only been out since last February. I am aware that version 4 was just released. It simply has NOT been in the market as long as photoshop.

Aperture was first released by Apple in 2005.

Interesting. The guy at the Apple store misinformed me!

More importantly than all of that, there is only one "a" in Aperture.

Oh and, I'd get Photoshop if only because it's so widely used that sharing tips and processes with others will be easier than if you are using a less popular program.

Photoshop and Aperture are two completely different products for two completely different things.

Aperture is more like Lightroom than it is Photoshop.

Most reactions

Back