Photoshop vs Lightroom

misterdiego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys,

If you could sum up the main difference between Photoshop and Lightroom how would you do it?

Thank you guys!

For me, LR is a faster edit when it comes to lighting, color and easy touch ups. This is my preferred method and application.

Photoshop is a very complete and powerful tool. I use my copy of CS3 (I need an upgrade) when working with layers is needed.

I'm sure many will chime in with more in depth reviews...

Sent from my iPhone

Ferrari vs Boeing 747. Which one do you want?

Thanks for the answer man. I appreciate it! Let me ask you. So if you had a huge amount of photos to edit, basic stuff that is, would you do it on LR?

Depends on your definition of "edit."

Like I said, apples vs oranges.

If you buy Ps it comes with Adobe Camera Raw, which is the same raw processing engine as what's in Lr. Where Lr really shines is as a digital asset management program. Granted I love Lr and couldn't imagine not having it, but before I moved to Lr (when Lr3 came out) I just used DPP and ACR for raw edits.

Photoshop is more than just a "Photo Editor" it is a professional-grade graphics production environment. Lightroom is a stripped-down version primarily for photographic use. In addition, unless you can find a copy of CS6 still in stock somewhere the only way you can get Photoshop is to "Rent" it through Adobe by paying a monthly subscription price that never ends. Lightroom is not that way.

Personally I have both and seldom use either one of them. I much prefer Nikon Capture NX2 but it only shines if you shoot with a Nikon.

If you buy Ps it comes with Adobe Camera Raw, which is the same raw processing engine as what's in Lr. Where Lr really shines is as a digital asset management program.
That essentially answers the OP's request.

Actually it is Photoshop Lightroom, and there is Photoshop CS 3, CS 4, CS 5, CS 6, and now Photoshop CC.

CS 6 can run Actions. Lightroom can't.
CS 6's Bridge can batch process while allowing other tasks to be done in both CS 6 and Camera Raw.

CS 6 has many more editing tools, and editing options than Lightroom has.

If you buy Ps it comes with Adobe Camera Raw, which is the same raw processing engine as what's in Lr. Where Lr really shines is as a digital asset management program. Granted I love Lr and couldn't imagine not having it, but before I moved to Lr (when Lr3 came out) I just used DPP and ACR for raw edits.

Therefore, it is better to work RAW images on LR that on PS?

If you buy Ps it comes with Adobe Camera Raw, which is the same raw processing engine as what's in Lr. Where Lr really shines is as a digital asset management program.
That essentially answers the OP's request.

Actually it is Photoshop Lightroom, and there is Photoshop CS 3, CS 4, CS 5, CS 6, and now Photoshop CC.

CS 6 can run Actions. Lightroom can't.
CS 6's Bridge can batch process while allowing other tasks to be done in both CS 6 and Camera Raw.

CS 6 has many more editing tools, and editing options than Lightroom has.

Now, that is a real sum up of this. Thank you sir!

Depends on your definition of "edit."

Like I said, apples vs oranges.

You certainly seem to be knowledgeable, do you mind being more clear and technical about your answer? Thank you.

It's easy, if you want to make adjustments such as color, tones, contrast, white balance, sharpening etc. Lightroom is all you need.

If you want to do true editing such as adding or removing items or artifacts from a photo, combine photos or elements of various photos, ie. use layers then you need Photoshop as Lightroom does not do layers.

Most reactions

Back