photoshop

although I find it to be pretty ridiculous for kids, and people who intend on using it for personal use to pay the full price, I do feel that anyone who plans on using professionally should pay for it.

Agreed.

Some people take the stance that if you are using it for home or personal use that is fine. I DO NOT AGREE!!!!!

It is a tool and a retail product just like anything you can buy in any store, just because the internet has made downloading software easy it does not make it any different than sneaking out of a store with something tucked under your shirt.

There are many free or inexpensive options out there for photo editing. You would be better off looking at one of those. The reason for this is that most people who are using it at home don’t need it. Photoshop is far more powerful than most home users need. They want it because it is an industry standard.

The example someone gave about taking your photos and selling them was not quite accurate.
This is more like you are selling your photos to people, but before can complete the sale, someone has made copies of your photos and is giving them out for free to your customers.

No you did not technically lose anything right? Or did you lose the income you had counted on by printing the photos, paying for web space or a booth to sell them. If someone was doing this just outside of your reach or you could not tell who was doing it because everyone was, does it make it ok?

listen to Bifurcator.

hmmmm..... I think the op has a point.... now i'm wondering about other choices i make in life....

restaurant -
pay for meal? or dine and dash?

old lady -
help across the street? or take her purse?

bank -
make a deposit? or rob it?

party -
enjoy and have drinks? or take jewelery from master bedroom?

clothing store-
try on and buy? or try on and leave with them on?

pretty girl -
ask her out? or no means yes?

charity donation boxes -
contribute? or take the box?

all of a sudden .... nothing in life is clear.....

What would you ever ask this question? Are you seriously going to take the advice of anyone. I imagine you already pirated it anyway.

Your arguments for illegally pirating it are clearly flawed and for lack of a better word stupid.

I bet half the people on this forum that use Photoshop have a pirated copy or borrowed it from a friend and installed it which is the same thing. I would even bet a little money that at least one person who posted DON'T STEAL are using a pirated copy themselves (maybe they justify it by telling themselves they will purchase a copy as soon as they have the money).

I don't think you should steal it. It's really not that expensive in comparison. My camera and lenses cost at least 10x the full cost of Photoshop CS3. It's really a rather small investment.

I bet half the people on this forum that use Photoshop have a pirated copy or borrowed it from a friend and installed it which is the same thing. I would even bet a little money that at least one person who posted DON'T STEAL are using a pirated copy themselves (maybe they justify it by telling themselves they will purchase a copy as soon as they have the money).
I would have to fully agree with this one. I am a computer sim racer. On the official forum, people ask about a crack for the game all the time. Also, people who are playing the demo version (status is on their forum avatar) will post screenshots or talk about licensed content all the time. Constantly, licensed users are crying "cracker" in the forum any time someone mentions anything with the demo status. These same people are the ones using a $5000 3d program to make pretty 3d rendered images of the game, the cars, and paintschemes. I highly doubt that this many people paid the $5k for the 3d program.

The same people who berate the demo users as "crack users" are now downloading a torrent of a game that was just released in Russia. It hasn't made it to other countries yet, but they downloaded the torrent for the russian version, same as many unlicensed users do with the racing sim they yell "cracker" to.

Just about every one of these people also use Photoshop to design their paintschemes for the cars. Many of them are quite young, the young ones are the ones most common to yell at a demo user for using a cracked version. I very much doubt these "OMG U CRACKORZZZ" kids have paid $5k for their 3d renders and the $600 for photoshop for the graphic work.

I don't think you should steal it. It's really not that expensive in comparison. My camera and lenses cost at least 10x the full cost of Photoshop CS3. It's really a rather small investment.
Your camera and lens cost 10x the price of Photoshop, thus it is a small investment. Not everyone has your camera and lens combination. There are many folks here who would state the opposite, photoshop costs 10x the cost of their camera.

I just find it very amusing when people come onto forums such as this or the official forum of the racing sim I mention up top and talk about downloading the program. It shows how stupid our society is.

One thing I do not agree with are the statements (from users or the software companies) that say they are losing money. If one downloads the program, the chance that the person would otherwise purchase it is nonexistant. People download it because they want to use it and use it for nothing. If they couldn't download it for nothing, they wouldn't use it at all.

Now Windows OS is a totally different animal. I am a registered paid user of Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, and XP Media Edition. I have paid for Windows far more than just those versions. Every time I purchase a computer, I pay for Windows yet again even though I am already a paid registered user of that version (example, throw away a Win98 machine and purchase a new one with Win98, you've paid for Win98 twice). Download, torrent, and share CDs all you want with Windows OS, you've probably paid multiple times for it.

Last edited:
What would you ever ask this question? Are you seriously going to take the advice of anyone. I imagine you already pirated it anyway.

Your arguments for illegally pirating it are clearly flawed and for lack of a better word stupid.

if you had read what i sad a few posts up, i stated i am not asking for peoples advice on whether or not i should steal it. so please don't say i'm stupid for asking this question. i probably should have made this clear in my original post, but i did say this only a few posts after.

i agree with some of what of you guys have to say about how teenagers using it for personal use only is kind of ridiculous, considering i am a teenager and i can't justify buying it. i'm not saying that i'm going to go pirate it though, seeing as i don't support stealing in any way or form.

and also as someone said, i would be willing to bet that a good amount of photoshop users on this forum didn't pay for the copy they use, since from my quick research i have found that over half of all photoshop users have pirated copies.

and as far as photoshop being far more powerful for the typical person who steals it just because it's an industry standard, i have to disagree. i have a friend who would probably surprise you with the skill he has in photoshop, and he's only 17. due to him using photoshop for close to 3 years, he is very interested in graphic and web design, and will most likely end up doing something in that field. does this justify the fact that he hasn't payed for any of his copies? no it doesn't. assuming he were to become a graphic designer, his company would more than likely buy him atleast one license of photoshop if not more for him to do his work on. so what i'm trying to say, is because he randomly downloaded photoshop when he was 14 he ended up having a career in which requiers his eomployer to purchase the copies program for him, which might benefit adobe you could say, because he did not choose to use one of their many competitors. obviously though, saying he will become a graphic designer is all hypothetical.

and please don't assume i pirate programs or i'm some theif, because i'm not. i realized this would cause quite a fuss when i posted it, but that's also part of the reason why i did

Last edited:
also, i am not arguing in favor of piracy. if it appears that i am, that was not my intention. seeing as in my prior post in my hypothetical example, my friend could have become just as familiar with photoshop by buying rather than pirating it obviously. and i wasn't aware that people had such strong feelings on this topic

Last edited:
The reason it's so expensive is that people pirate it.

at least one person who posted DON'T STEAL are using a pirated copy themselves (maybe they justify it by telling themselves they will purchase a copy as soon as they have the money).

is this what you tell yourself??

Hah of course it is... "I promise adobe I will pay for it right after my next lens purchase and then the next... wait ok the next..."

Actually I had to pay for it sense I use it professionally and wouldn’t want to risk the backlash of turning over images to a client that I edited with a pirated copy of Photoshop.

The reason it's so expensive is that people pirate it.
Only an opinion and nothing based on facts. As I said in my thoughts above, probably the majority of those who do pirate software have no intention of purchasing to begin with. So, where is the company losing money at? There is nothing physical that they paid to produce that is being stolen.

Actually since you are a teenager go to the local community college and, take a photography class. You will get a student ID and hence a discount on PS. I got my CS2 for $400 that way. Now Im going to get the upgrade and get CS4 for cheap. You might want to take an ethics class.

Only an opinion and nothing based on facts. As I said in my thoughts above, probably the majority of those who do pirate software have no intention of purchasing to begin with. So, where is the company losing money at? There is nothing physical that they paid to produce that is being stolen.

Spoken like someone who does not work for a software developer. I do.

Now think of it this way, if there were no way to pirate the software, would people just stop using image editing software. Probably not. What they would do is look for less expensive packages that suit thier needs like Adobe elements.

There is no justifcation to pirate software, if you look around there are less expensive or free options, there are places you can go and use the software for little or no cost (schools, Studios the rent time on thier computers). One good option out there is if you plan to buy a Wacom tablet, it comes with Elements, you can upgrade to the full version of CS3 for $350.00.

Most reactions

Back