photoshop

i didn't know i was surrounded by so many saints...:bigangel:

Spoken like someone who does not work for a software developer. I do.

Now think of it this way, if there were no way to pirate the software, would people just stop using image editing software. Probably not. What they would do is look for less expensive packages that suit thier needs like Adobe elements.

There is no justifcation to pirate software, if you look around there are less expensive or free options, there are places you can go and use the software for little or no cost (schools, Studios the rent time on thier computers). One good option out there is if you plan to buy a Wacom tablet, it comes with Elements, you can upgrade to the full version of CS3 for $350.00.
I'm not justifying, just stating what I feel is the way it goes. I still say that, the majority of people who are pirating software has no intention of purchasing. If there is no intention of purchasing, whether available or not as pirated, there is no money lost. If someone contacts Adobe and says, "I am not buying your software," there is no loss of money, they weren't going to buy it. If someone contacts and says, "I was going to buy it, but I can download it for free, so ha ha," then you can say there is loss of money because said person would have bought it. Tis not the case though, people download stuff because they can. If they suddenly can not, it doesn't mean sales are going to go through the roof. Those who do download just isn't going to purchase. No loss of money.

You can look at it this way, if you put your d40 camera up for sale on Craigslist, do you have a loss of sale for that camera because someone has just committed shoplifting at Walmart and stolen a d40? No you don't lose the sale of your camera, because someone who wouldn't have purchased a camera to begin with stole one.

My thoughts on Microsoft Windows still stands though, the thieving ********. :D

It's easy to Blame the thieves in which you are all doing quite successfully i might add. the people you are not blaming are the ones who put it on the many torrents/ file sharing sites around that you can download stuff off. If those wern't around no software would be stolen... makes sense doesn't it?. But as per usual everyone gets a one sided view on things and they tend to forget how it actually got there in the first place.

As for the comment mentioned that over half of this place would use pirated software...... yes to that but the smart ones wouldn't admit that on here.. the even smarter ones would read this thread and not say a word.

Much to the disgust of the honest people around here we have to face facts in the world of reality that *hacked, pirated* software is here to stay, You get rid of one hacker and another 2-3 turn up to replace him, Which is the norm on most things in illegal activities nowdays.

It's easy to Blame the thieves in which you are all doing quite successfully i might add. the people you are not blaming are the ones who put it on the many torrents/ file sharing sites around that you can download stuff off. If those wern't around no software would be stolen... makes sense doesn't it?. But as per usual everyone gets a one sided view on things and they tend to forget how it actually got there in the first place.

As for the comment mentioned that over half of this place would use pirated software...... yes to that but the smart ones wouldn't admit that on here.. the even smarter ones would read this thread and not say a word.

Much to the disgust of the honest people around here we have to face facts in the world of reality that *hacked, pirated* software is here to stay, You get rid of one hacker and another 2-3 turn up to replace him, Which is the norm on most things in illegal activities nowdays.

oh.... i see.... so ... you want to blame other people for "making you steal"...

do you also blame mcdonalds for making you fat? and blame credit card companies for your debt?

puuulease....

I'm not justifying, just stating what I feel is the way it goes. I still say that, the majority of people who are pirating software has no intention of purchasing. If there is no intention of purchasing, whether available or not as pirated, there is no money lost. If someone contacts Adobe and says, "I am not buying your software," there is no loss of money, they weren't going to buy it. If someone contacts and says, "I was going to buy it, but I can download it for free, so ha ha," then you can say there is loss of money because said person would have bought it. Tis not the case though, people download stuff because they can. If they suddenly can not, it doesn't mean sales are going to go through the roof. Those who do download just isn't going to purchase. No loss of money.

My thoughts on Microsoft Windows still stands though, the thieving ********. :D

the problem with your line of thinking is that somewhere in there is a percentage of pirates who will/may be able to purchase the product one day when they do have more money.... it is now unlikely this person will end up paying because they are used to getting the service for free.... they'll just buy another lens instead..... this represents real loss for the developers....

The copyright on the software is different than that on your photos? The people that made the software and market it, don't deserve compensation for their work (profits according to demand)? So anyone making "illegal copies" to distribute is not committing a crime in any degree? I don't believe that at all. That's why the are laws for trademarks and copyrights. We even see it at the beginning of every movie (dvd, etc.) and you can't say you didn't know.

This is more about ethics than anything else. Some people are honest and respect the rules, others look out for themselves and just don't care. Those are the people I trust as far as I can throw. This thread is sorting out those people quickly so thank you to all that have posted. :D

One thing some companies have been doing is using HASP (Hardware Against Software Piracy) keys to prevent piracy. If you are not familiar with them, thy are a hardware key (USB) that must be plugged in to the PC to operate the software.

This can be very effective because not only do you need to install the software, you would need a specific USB key (Not the same as a memory stick) to make it work.

I can see many companies going this way on expensive software in the future. This can’t prevent the truly determined people, but for the average Joe that just does not want to pay for software would not be able to run it.

i'm not that old, but even in my generation there was a thing called common sense. You knew who to ask certain questions, and who to not. It's always been my place that people are going to do what people are going to do, and it's not my place to stand in their way, and be the devil or angel on their shoulder. If you wanted to d/l photoshop i'd have no problem with it..that's your business, and if you get away with it, which you probably will..great. If you get caught, the charges and fines aren't mine.

MY problem is asking a general forum filled with professional and amateur photographers alike, most of which are straight laced (from what i gather from general atmosphere of various threads), whether or not you should purchase or pirate a piece of software.

CMON..REALLY? where's the common sense in that? did you really think it would go smoothly? that's that common sense thing I was talking about. Just because you can say/ask something...doesnt mean you should..depending on the company you are in the presence of.

It kind of shows your age, and mental maturity.

purchase or pirate?

Ahhhrrrrr! Ahoy theeer maytie. There be no pirating of any kind in these heeer waters or else they be havins to answer to me. Ahhrrr!

pirate.png

i'm not sure how many times i'll have to say i was not asking whether or not i should buy or pirate it, maybe a few more times since some of you are still assuming that was the point of this? all's i wanted was to see what people thought since i know how commonly pirated of a program photoshop is.

sorry if you think i'm not mature, even though i'd have to say an internet forum isn't the most accurate way to gauge someones maturity level..

i honestly don't see what the huge deal about discussing this is. alls i wanted was peoples opinions since i was recently reading an article saying that half of all photoshop users used pirated copies; not to get attacked saying how i need to learn ethics or that i'm some theif who has no common sense.

Last edited:
One thing some companies have been doing is using HASP (Hardware Against Software Piracy) keys to prevent piracy. If you are not familiar with them, thy are a hardware key (USB) that must be plugged in to the PC to operate the software.

This can be very effective because not only do you need to install the software, you would need a specific USB key (Not the same as a memory stick) to make it work.

I can see many companies going this way on expensive software in the future. This can’t prevent the truly determined people, but for the average Joe that just does not want to pay for software would not be able to run it.

i've seen those before. one of my friends has one of those for some embroidering software for her sewing machine. kind of weird i guess, but i know without it plugged it you can't even the program.

This has to be the first online forum I have ever seen where every person has boughten photoshop.

Hey wait i've got a good question, purchase or re-use the "free trial" of cs3 over and over? :D, now you can compare this to going to a store and allways getting "free samples" of the food that the people are handing out but never buying the product yourself. Once your out of food, or once the 30 days are up, you get another sample/trial.

Generally the people who've pirated photoshop, wouldn't buy photoshop if it was unpirate-able, they'd just dowlnoad GIMP

This has to be the first online forum I have ever seen where every person has boughten photoshop.

Hey wait i've got a good question, purchase or re-use the "free trial" of cs3 over and over? :D, now you can compare this to going to a store and allways getting "free samples" of the food that the people are handing out but never buying the product yourself. Once your out of food, or once the 30 days are up, you get another sample/trial.

Generally the people who've pirated photoshop, wouldn't buy photoshop if it was unpirate-able, they'd just dowlnoad GIMP

why do you assume everyone here is using photoshop? i'm not... can't afford it.... i use psp x2....

pertaining to your last statement.... what does this mean?... that your theivery is excusable?

why do you assume everyone here is using photoshop? i'm not... can't afford it.... i use psp x2....

pertaining to your last statement.... what does this mean?... that your theivery is excusable?

i'm assuming that everyone who has posted on the thread, saying they haven't pirated it has not pirated it. meaning everyone who has a copy has purchased it.

Just curious as to people's opinions on stealing a free sample.

Just curious as to people's opinions on stealing a free sample.

what does this mean? most often trial software is good for a set time period after which in becomes locked until a license is purchased... generally you do not get another trial on the same computer....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back