Photoshop

blind1587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just purchased photoshop, and I do not know how to use the program yet. What is the best way to learn photoshop?(Book, dvd, class, or just mess around with it, etc)

Google and YouTube.

i'll have to say youtube. tons and tons of good tutorial videos are available on there

Which version of Photoshop did you get? Elements 9? CS5? Lightroom 3?

Each version will have a HELP tab. Click on Help > Photoshop Help, and Adobe has a bunch of tutorials to help you get started.

For example Photoshop Elements 9 opens this link when you use the Help tab: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshopelements/using/index.html

There are also tutorials at Adobe TV.

Concentrate on learning the essentials that you will use most. The following are the operations that I find most common, although obviously this will vary from person to person. Look these up first to get yourself started.

Cropping (including rotation)
Curves
Brightness
Color balance
Saturation

Until you learn how to use Adjustment Layers (not hard), save multiple versions in case you change your mind. Adj. Layers allow you to change or delete the adjustment (could be Curves, Color Balance, etc, etc) without affecting the underlying image. Later on, learn how to paint on the layer masks of Adj. Layers - this is one of the really powerful tools in PS.

The most comprehensive and explanatory would be lynda.com but that is a pretty expensive resource if your are not working with a team of creative artists. Otherwise you can see a lot of tutorials on youtube, blogs, deviant art, and good-tutorials.com.

Play around with the program. That's the best way to learn.

A few pointers. 300 square pixels per inch is the resolution you want to do your photo and design work at. CMYK color mode is for print designs. RGB color mode is for photography, and screen displays. Learn Curves, Levels, Color Balance, and Blending modes first. As well as layers and masking. That should be the most important stuff.

Thanks everyone for the input! I will be using most of the advice given

There is a website photoradar.com . If you go into the techniques part there are tutorials for both the important stuff and fun stuff, enjoy

I finally got Lightroom 3 and decided to renew my Lynda.com subscription for one month. I'll go through all of the tutorials I can over the next month, cancel it and re-up again in 3 to 6 months when I need to learn something else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back